Anyone know how we find out what div we are in

iRacing
pab

Anyone know how we find out what div we are in

Post by pab »

as far as i know, each series is divided into 10 levels (divs). I assume we are placed into them by iRating rank. Any one know how we find out which divs we are in for each series? There is a div column in the series standings page, but nothing in there, are they determined after round 1. If so does that mean it's important to get a race in for each series you want to run during round 1?

PB.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
DarrenM

Re: Anyone know how we find out what div we are in

Post by DarrenM »

Sporting code :)
4.4.1.2. At the beginning of the third race week of each season, the iRacing.com
system will automatically partition each series into 10 (or 11 when
appropriate) competition divisions based on the number of drivers who have
competed in that series during the first two race weeks and the range of their
current iRatings.
4.4.1.3. Drivers will be assigned to divisions based on their current iRating.

It's only important to get a race in round 1 if you don't want it to be one of your 4 dropped rounds :)
pab

Post by pab »

Ah, thanks Darren :)
PB
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

So whats the point of splitting everyone into seperate divisions?
thornz

Post by thornz »

Hazelb wrote:So whats the point of splitting everyone into seperate divisions?
By the looks of it, it just creates a championship within a championship. So even if your not Gregger Huttu, you can still win a championship. Was just reading in the iRacing forums, that someone just recieved a certificate in the mail for placing 3rd overall in div 6. Thats a nice little touch if you ask me.

On another note Darren, I take it once you are in a Div, you cant be promoted or relegated?
pab

Post by pab »

Lets face it, it really means nothing, why does coming first in div 6 make you any better than the guy who came last in div 5? I'm guessing they do it to prevent the obvious whinge that when each series contains thousands of drivers there are only a few very elite ones who will ever win anything. Winning something like div 6 really just makes you about 800th loser.
PB
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

thornz wrote:On another note Darren, I take it once you are in a Div, you cant be promoted or relegated?
You're in it for the remainder of the season, yes.

Yes pab, it's just about giving more people the chance to win something. With the points and grids so much down to chance ATM, it does make it a little meaningless if you choose to look at it that way :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

pab wrote:Lets face it, it really means nothing, why does coming first in div 6 make you any better than the guy who came last in div 5? I'm guessing they do it to prevent the obvious whinge that when each series contains thousands of drivers there are only a few very elite ones who will ever win anything. Winning something like div 6 really just makes you about 800th loser.
I don't know about that, mate. I think people will be happy to fight for a win in something. The difference between 5th and 1st in a division seems like something a whole lot more worth battling over than going for 801st from 805th. Anything that creates incentive like that is pretty good in my books. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

well what about that old way.. say your you have a irating to put you in Div A but not fast enough to win in Div A, could you hold back your times to get put in Div B and win in there
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
pab

Post by pab »

Exar Kun wrote:I don't know about that, mate. I think people will be happy to fight for a win in something. The difference between 5th and 1st in a division seems like something a whole lot more worth battling over than going for 801st from 805th. Anything that creates incentive like that is pretty good in my books. :tilt:
Yep, I understand what you're saying, and if it comes to me fighting for a title I'll be going as hard for it as anyone, but, when you think about it, it's down to luck as much as anything else, it all depends on where they make the cutoff rather than how good you actually are. But, point taken, I'm not suggesting that they get rid of those divs, cause I'm going to be one of those ones fighting for 800th place (at best).

What could be interesting though, is if they divided things up in other ways. The way the system currently works there's no reason why they couldn't have a championship for drivers from the Southern hemisphere, for drivers from Australia, for drivers from South Australia, for drivers from Adelaide, for drivers whose initials are PB are left handed and drive a VW kombi, etc (I gotta win something don't I?).

Actually, come to think of it, there's no reason why we couldn't have an ARSE championship. all it would take is to decide which series it would run on and each week each member taking part posts their point total for the week from the official iRacing standings.
PB
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I like to keep an eye on ARSE--------> drivers, and compare how i'm doing.
balls & boobs. . .
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

pab wrote:Actually, come to think of it, there's no reason why we couldn't have an ARSE championship. all it would take is to decide which series it would run on and each week each member taking part posts their point total for the week from the official iRacing standings.
For that kind of thing I wish it had a web query system like LFS. Then people could do their own championship based on points, fastest race time like rfactorcentral etc.
wobblysauce wrote:well what about that old way.. say your you have a irating to put you in Div A but not fast enough to win in Div A, could you hold back your times to get put in Div B and win in there
It's not based on laptimes though. To do it you'd have to lose a bunch of races to get your iRating down. It wouldn't be any guarantee of winning the div either since iRating isn't based purely on speed. How many races people have done is a bigger factor.
Last edited by DarrenM on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pab

Post by pab »

DarrenM wrote:
pab wrote:Actually, come to think of it, there's no reason why we couldn't have an ARSE championship. all it would take is to decide which series it would run on and each week each member taking part posts their point total for the week from the official iRacing standings.
For that kind of thing I wish it had a web query system like LFS. Then people could do their own championship based on points, fastest race time like rfactorcentral etc.
Hmm, if only we had a Club Liaison Officer who could suggest this for us.

:D
PB
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Already being discussed :)
pab

Post by pab »

So, who would be up for it if I was prepared to do the scoring each week?

Anyone who might be keen post here and provide thoughts/preferences on which serie(s) you think it should be based on.
PB
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

i race when work fits around it fo shizzle...

Might have to wait for us Rookies to catch up, or have a seperate run for us... :yes:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Sounds like a good idea, Pete. I reckon most of us are on Skippys and LMs at the moment so maybe that's a good starting point (or maybe not if i look at my Skippy points haul...).
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
pab

Post by pab »

I'm not talking about us all racing together as such Sin, just that you run your normal races each week, then we take your score for that week's track, and rank everyone here by that. Obviously you'd need us to use a rookie series if you were going to take part right from the start, but you'll be running the skip barber pretty soon anyway.
PB
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

I reckon it's a cool idea that would add another dimension to the racing.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

I agree... great idea :D
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

That stuff I said above about killing your iRating to get in a lower division, there's a guy who's actually doing it. Ross J MacGregor. He's trundled around in last place for 18 races now and dropped his iRating by over 1000 points. We'll see how it works out for him :)

Guess he doesn't ever want a chance to get a pro license, which is supposedly based on iRating instead of SR.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

ok, thank you for that DM
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

DarrenM wrote:That stuff I said above about killing your iRating to get in a lower division, there's a guy who's actually doing it. Ross J MacGregor. He's trundled around in last place for 18 races now and dropped his iRating by over 1000 points. We'll see how it works out for him :)

Guess he doesn't ever want a chance to get a pro license, which is supposedly based on iRating instead of SR.
why is he? too much time on his hands??
--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'd say he has some time...he's raced the most races of all aussies, 176, which puts him 4th on the word wide list...Theres a few people with lots of time on their hands if you ask me :D

by the way that Greger Huttu is 1st is no surprise (did you guys see his mazda qual time? 2.03.9xx ! ) But his stats are nothing short of awesome.
30 starts, 30 wins average start=finish=1, laps led 562 out of 562(!) and average incidents 0.0333 (he put a wheel in the dirt once?)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah I've been in two races with Ross, tonight and last night. Last night he didn't even join the server then tonight he started a lap down. Seems a bit silly to me, where's the fun in beating a bunch of people a lot slower than you :shrug: