What are you racing for?

iRacing
thornz

What are you racing for?

Post by thornz »

Interesting situation has arisen after my first race in the skippys. I had a good race and claimed a 3rd position, and 108 championship points. Now for me, that was a pretty lucky result with a few of the faster cars spinning out, and chances are I wont get a better result. So now I have to decide whether I race again, and risk lowering my points by a bad finish, or not race again for this week and keep the good points finish. All this got me to wondering what are peoples priority's? Are you driving with the championship in mind? Or are you just out to race as much as possible, have fun, and not worry about the points.

I think this is perhaps one downside of every race counting towards the championship. If you are going for max points, you might only have one race a week and that's it, which is a bit stink seeing as your paying each week. So yeah, whats everybody going for? Fun, or battling in the championship?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: What are you racing for?

Post by KNAPPO »

Good point, my first race in both the Skippy & the Late Model i finished 2nd and i have thought if i should hold back on racing again...

Ive had another 4 skippy races and they have all ended in disaster but overall in not too fussed as im having fun in the Skip.
Good topic tho.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

personally Im not much of a chance of winning anything. So with that in mind I will be looking to race whenever i want to and doing it for fun

however i see your point. but you need to decide what you are paying for. are you willing to give up on the fun of a great car on a great track for some championship points?
--------------
Stu
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

i think i will be playing it safe just working on my irating to make sure i am well clear by the end of the 12 weeks (how hard can that be) to be able to advance each time. See what happens i am yet to get on the track in the skippy in a race session, and with 3 hours sleep i won't be tonight. :D
Hello :aussie:
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

I intend to use the Skippy as my major focus, try and run one or two races to get a decent level of points.

Then praccy for next weeks event.

I figure i can use the legends, advanced legends, Solstice, Advanced Solstice and Late Model to have fun in as my mood suits.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'm trying to up my SR, but at the moment I'm just falling back :( I'd like to compete in the mazda as well. Altho it may be a disaster, it's so different to drive...

I don't really mind my iRating, I like it to be reasonably high, so it gives me a chance to race against fast, clean guys so I can learn. I like to win too, but I know my limits, hehe. I just had a ripper, with most opponents able to run low 1:49's or 48's (6 of them!) and finished 2nd somehow, 15 sec behind Vail Riches (grats!) who was simply flying...

Having said all that, if I'll have a ripper 1st race I might just think about racing something else for the week too :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I don't care about the points at all really. I'm racing to up my SR and iRating. Good, clean racing with people of similar skill is all I ask. And i'll be aiming to improve my road license at the end of each season - hopefully with a high enough SR to race up almost immediately.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Doing 1 race a week will stuff you up in the long run because your iRating won't go up much. Higher iRating = higher SOF = more points, so you're really better off just doing lots of races.

Rookie license = concentrate on getting SR up.
Above that = concentrate on getting your iRating up and the points will follow.

Don't forget you get to drop your worst 4 weeks of 12, so there's no need to stress too much over the occasional bad result. There is also no reason to think that you won't be able to get more points in subsequent races because the amount of points is determined by the strength of field, not just the position, and SOF is just a matter of luck as to who is racing at the time.

I suppose what you could do is do one race a week in your main series then lots of races in a different one to get your iRating up, but where's the fun in that? :)
Simone Gelli

Post by Simone Gelli »

i simply have a lot of fun racing,i love the stats,but at the same time is entertaining enough go out there
and enjoy what you paid for....
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

enjoying solstice series, because thats all ill ever fukn race by the looks of it...

just did two TT's, one qual and one race and my rating went up from 1.51 to 1.52... yay... :(
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sin wrote:enjoying solstice series, because thats all ill ever fukn race by the looks of it...

just did two TT's, one qual and one race and my rating went up from 1.51 to 1.52... yay... :(
Just try and keep the races absolutely clean and you'll be all right. It's better to lose a few spots than hitting someone (or a wall) in the rookie class it's especially true. It really does not matter much where you finish, just try to make it clean.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I havent been too outrageous with racing, altho a few contacts... one guy, Richard Mason had a massive whinge... that made me laugh.

But i have been learning how to throw this pontiac around and sometimes once the ass end is out there, swinging away, it just keeps going... had some massive 360/540 spins... even caught a few, but when you hit that wall, wow!

But point taken, ill just do the laps and try to stay out of the way...

Not interested in the championship table at all... just want to get into something quicker on the road circuits and have fun... advanced solstice sounds like fun until we get that Daytona later in the year.

any word on when?

;)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

it will be a while. be even longer before you will be able to race it. I'd say it will be an A license car. But, that doesn't stop you from buying it and testing it.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I dont think the daytona prototype will be an A level car, its not THAT quick.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Sin, if your SR is at 1.52 you are in for a looooong climb back up the ladder of safety... WTF have you been doing? Practice is a good thing you know.... the SR doesn't get affected in practice mode. Looks like you've been RACING without much practice..?!

*edit* just read one of your other posts sin, and i'm thinking the 1.52 was a typo? should read 2.52.... :)
balls & boobs. . .
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

yea, 2.5* sorry...

slowly it is climbing up... Getting off the road and onto the oval has helped... 2.85 now...

I actually am pleasantly surprised with the Legends series... but holy crap does it wear your arms out! did a 78 lap TT early this morning and i was knackered at the end of it... lol

Had trouble holding my daughter, :P

;)
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

In response to the original topic, I'm racing to win. I want to do the best I can, and hopefully get rewarded with some awesome battles along the way. This is (serious) fun for me ;)
balls & boobs. . .
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Sin i am just checking that you do realise the oval and road SR are different, as in you have 2.5 for road and 2.85 for oval to get to class D in both you have to have 3.0 in both
Hello :aussie:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Just remember that your oval and road SRs are different. You hold a seperate license for each. So it's possible to advance on road courses but not ovals and vice-versa.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Quincy wrote:In response to the original topic, I'm racing to win. I want to do the best I can, and hopefully get rewarded with some awesome battles along the way. This is (serious) fun for me ;)
Since I jumped into Skippies I've not had a chance to win. I seem to be fast enough to be lumped in with the quick guys but always too slow to have any chance of winning against them. MY iRating probably does alright out of it but I do miss that winning feeling at times!
pab

Post by pab »

Exar Kun wrote:
Quincy wrote:In response to the original topic, I'm racing to win. I want to do the best I can, and hopefully get rewarded with some awesome battles along the way. This is (serious) fun for me ;)
Since I jumped into Skippies I've not had a chance to win. I seem to be fast enough to be lumped in with the quick guys but always too slow to have any chance of winning against them. MY iRating probably does alright out of it but I do miss that winning feeling at times!
Welcome to my world Mick :) (the not winning bit, not the fast enough bit)
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sin wrote:... but holy crap does it wear your arms out! did a 78 lap TT early this morning and i was knackered at the end of it...
You're a wuss of a soldier :D

(I'm running the FF at 20% only by the way, I could not race with 50%...)

Exar: that sucks mate, prolly when there's more racers on each levels you'll get people closer to your abilities to race with. Or a few lucky ones where you actually win from a loser's position :)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Shaun wrote:Sin i am just checking that you do realise the oval and road SR are different, as in you have 2.5 for road and 2.85 for oval to get to class D in both you have to have 3.0 in both

Ok, i am retarded... :nod:

;)
Speed

Post by Speed »

I'm racing for the fun & the championships if that makes any sense.

I’m planning on doing between 3 & 6 races a week & competing in 3 different championships.
That said I don’t expect to get many wins or do particularly well either.
A little while back, winning used to be important to me but now I just can’t be bothered doing the necessary practise that winning requires.
I like to keep my gaming to less than an hour a day 'cause I also have other stuff I like to do.

I had 2 races today. The first I got taken out in turn 1 by someone being over aggressive & had to reset. From there I had an awesome race, gradually pulling back the 3 guys ahead of me & managing to pass 2 of them in the last couple of laps eventually finishing 7th.

The other race I led from start to finish. It was not nearly as much fun…….I’d much rather have to fight for my spot wherever that may be.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm a bit like you Speed and well I ain't gonna beat some of the guys I'm up against anytime soon, same deal that Mick mentioned. I still have the competitive streak but plan to do a Skippy and LM race each night for the fun of it but aiming to do as well as I can. Taking the good with the bad and hopefully get what I think is a decent result at the end of the championship. Then I'll buy the content for the next level and race their series, rinse then repeat :)