Thanks Demo - Easy render tutorial

LFS chat
c.j
Midget Wanker

Thanks Demo - Easy render tutorial

Post by c.j »

This guy has posted this up for guys new to doing renders.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=34770

hz's LX is one of the demonstration models he uses

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

champion
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

This is a good tutorial on using the free Blender 3d app.
However I can't help notice that it is a very blurry render of Hz's LX, I guess that its probably got to do with not only using a freeware 3d app but I am betting he only had the 1024px skin, so remember to always render with a 2048px skins, if you can :)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Flinty72 wrote:This is a good tutorial on using the free Blender 3d app.
However I can't help notice that it is a very blurry render of Hz's LX, I guess that its probably got to do with not only using a freeware 3d app but I am betting he only had the 1024px skin, so remember to always render with a 2048px skins, if you can :)
the whole car is blurry not just the skin :(
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Blender is freeware but it's a powerful little bugger capable of some amazing stuff. The blurry render would be due to his render settings. Blender is capable of producing images as good as max, lightwave, maya etc for the most part. I have tried a bit with blender but the bastid's viewports are just so tricky to navigate, just getting the camera into place can be a task. Still, freeware keeps the commercial buggers honest.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Flinty72 wrote: so remember to always render with a 2048px skins, if you can :)
4096 FTW!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hz-Lab wrote:
Flinty72 wrote: so remember to always render with a 2048px skins, if you can :)
4096 FTW!
Yeah but how when there are no base skins at that res, is there? I am assuming then that you have to stretch a 2048px template which isn't the best way and wouldn't provide the quality of a true 4096px base imho.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I don't render so i'm not sure, but Righty has done it before.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

If you go through and create all your skins with vector images you should be able to stretch as large as you like. Mr Knappo always provides them in a nice large format. The problem comes when you use bitmaps etc and try to upscale. The templates are just a guide, increase them in size won't really hurt your skins at all.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

the wheel is still not circular. how long till 3d renderer programs realise circle is a must? POV had it 15 years ago :D (tho it wasn't easy creating scenes via scripting, hehe)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

its not the render software, its the model.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

At the end of the day video cards talk triangles, not circles, so ain't really gonna happen till we have circles in hardware i reckon.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Pinger$ wrote:At the end of the day video cards talk triangles, not circles, so ain't really gonna happen till we have circles in hardware i reckon.
So you haven't seen a proper circle on your screen yet? :) This is a render, the 3d harware does not do anything. It's made of pixels.

And yes it's the model, because these renderer programs seldom have circular objects. They used to increase the polis but that's a half-arsed solution. POV I mentioned had _real_ circles, but that was much easier for them I guess because of the scripted nature of the program, you just defined the circular object's parameters and it was done.

Amazing the program still exists... http://www.povray.org/

This is what I call a globe rendered:

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Very nice. It looks like an HDR image with the way those reflections are.

I guess it does all depend on the program but the models will have been created in something that deals with polygons as that's what graphics cards push out. I haven't tried a render in autocad since they brought out their improved tools but that would be interesting as it's obviously a vector based program so I wonder what the renderer does these days with regards to breaking down the circular objects?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

I know what you're saying ysu... but during modelling, to show it on a video card, it has to be converted to triangles.
Not saying it's impossible... far from.

I remember a friend using povray back in uni. It was (and still is as far as i know) one of the best raytracers out there.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

ah, so you're using the original model then? I thought you have a model built for rendeing purposes. Anyway.
Check out he povray's gallery, it's nothign short of amazing. I kinda wish I never had stopped fumbling around with it :) Altho at the same time I know what these guys can do is way over my limit, hehe.
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

I may be way off here, but I think that povray takes a different approach to rendering 3D scenes than other applications do.

First of all, it's a raytracer, so it handles light in a completely different way to most traditional renderers. Raytracers calculate the path of millions of individual rays of light and use these rays to illuminate the scene. To cut down on the work involved, they don't start from the light source and work out where all the light is going, instead, they start from the pixels on the screen and work backwards until they hit a light source.

Second, povrays scenes are described by scripts that use mathematical representations of 3d objects and constructive solid geometry rules. In short, they describe the scene with mathematics, not points in space that join to make triangles. This means that a circle is a circle, not a bunch of triangles.

I used to use Povray a long time ago so some of the above details may not be 100% right anymore, but I think I got the gist of it.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

how does a renderer work?
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

ysu wrote:how does a renderer work?
There are many different types and each one works differently. I suggest you do some research of your own if you're interested.