General F1 news

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: General F1 news

Post by Exar Kun »

Big Kev wrote:
Red Bull are paying each and every member of staff - roughly 550 people - £10,000 after winning the constructors' championship. "I had a load of texts after Brazil saying: 'Thanks for the new kitchen'," joked team principal Christian Horner.
That really is awesome. And they were all already given a week long holiday at a resort between Singapore and Japan I think it was. Not a bad company to work for. To think my mate's brother was offered a job there when it was still Jag - I wish he'd taken it!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

morning session of the Pirelli test

1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1m40.861s 34
2. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m40.913s 29
3. Robert Kubica Renault 1m41.032s 25
4. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber 1m41.466s 33
5. Gary Paffett McLaren 1m41.588s 49
6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m41.978s 40
7. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1m42.642s 33
8. Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m42.655s 44
9. Adrian Sutil Force India 1m42.859s 20
10. Timo Glock Virgin 1m45.057s 41
11. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 1m46.201s 42
12. Pastor Maldonado Hispania 1m46.534s 46
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

HAHA now massa is up front. How useless do you want to be
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Jean Todt has vowed to push hard to improve the excitement in Formula 1. "We need to encourage more overtaking," he said. "In Abu Dhabi it was impossible. From now on, before a new circuit is approved, we will evaluate the potential for the spectacle as well as the safety."
Good.
At last Tilke won't be allowed to just draw something and build it. Maybe some driver input as to whether the track will 'work' is needed.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

BMW Sauber are now apparently just Sauber.
And Lotus are rumoured to be taking the name Proton 1 Malaysia (bit rubbish that).
My Flickr Stream
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

If they are taking the Proton name then it almost certainly means that Fernandes has done a deal to sit somewhere high up in the Proton car company (who, of course, own Lotus Cars and are the people that Fernandes has been fighting with about use of the name this whole time). That would mean he has probably done pretty well out of the whole deal and we should expect to see Lotus Renault up the other end of the grid next year.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

There is a God! :)
Organisers of the European grand prix at Valencia are desperately trying to offload the race contract to an alternate host.

That is the claim of the Spanish newspaper El Periodico, reporting that regional president Francisco Camps has determined that the port city cannot afford the annual fee and organisation costs.

On the sidelines of the city race in June, he reportedly asked Bernie Ecclestone if Valencia's contract - with two years left to run - can be broken, to which the F1 chief executive "flatly refused".

The report said the organisers are spending EUR 30 million on the race annually, including an 18m fee to Ecclestone's group and the cost of building and de-constructing the street circuit.

Only 10m is covered by the sale of tickets, having diminished from a race-day crowd of 112,000 in 2008 to just 75,000 this year.

Ecclestone reportedly told Camps that an alternative promoter and venue would have to be found, with the newspaper claiming negotiations with the circuit in Alcaniz as well as Portimao in Portugal have been held.

At the same time, it has been reported that Camps and Valencia mayoress Rita Barbera have held meetings with Ferrari about hosting the site of an Abu Dhabi-style theme park in the city.
My Flickr Stream
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Argentina could use a GP guys, give it to them.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Hooray! Just Barcelona to get rid of and we might have a good selection of races (I think Bahrain is salvageable) :)
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

Don't forget Hungary.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

lol

What is your secret for overtaking?

Kamui Kobayashi: “Because I am Japanese I have small eyes – so I can’t see the others guys.”
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Fancy designing the new Lotus black and gold paint scheme and winning a trip to see it racing?

http://www.lotusracing.my/spark/competi ... ition.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Flickr Stream
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Should we leave a blank space where the team name should go, just in case they aren't called Lotus next year? :)
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Kamui Kobayashi,for many, was F1's rookie of the year in 2010. The exciting 24-year-old Japanese looked back on his first full season in the top flight.

Q: How would you summarise your season?

Kobayashi: We had a lot of ups and downs but overall we had a good season. In the beginning we were struggling a lot. This was a pretty bad time. It was hard, and it was very difficult to recover during the season, because nowadays there is no testing. Despite this, towards the end of the season we were much stronger. The team did a great job to recover and I want to thank them for all their work.

Q: In which area did you improve the most?

Kobayashi: In every area. This is how it has to be, especially if you are a rookie.

Q: What was the best moment of 2010 for you?

Kobayashi: I think I had an interesting race in Japan. It was a very nice moment for me and for the Japanese fans.

Q: Which was the worst experience?

Kobayashi: That was when I crashed on the first lap of the Canadian GP.

Q: What is your secret for overtaking?

Kobayashi: Because I am Japanese I have small eyes - so I can't see the others guys.

Q: ...and seriously?

Kobayashi: If I feel I can overtake, I just do it. That's all, no secret.

Q: What do you want to achieve in 2011?

Kobayashi: My aim is to make zero mistakes. For the team I hope we will have a good car, and be able to fight for points on a regular basis to improve our position in the championship.

Q: What will you do in the winter break?

Kobayashi: I have some appointments in Japan and I will be returning to Abu Dhabi soon for the opening ceremony of the Ferrari World. I will also spend two weeks on holiday in Bali and, of course, I will be training. But in terms of fitness training, it helps that nowadays we have more time during the season to exercise because it is also very important to be able to do this consistently.

Q: If you had a free wish - what would it be?

Kobayashi: This is an easy one to answer. In Japanese Mangas there is a kind of 'where-do-you-want-to-go-to' door. You decide where you would want to go, step through this special door and you are there. This would be a great thing to have - I could have a beautiful house anywhere in the world, maybe on a nice island, and sleep there every night!

:hyper:
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Jeez keep up Mr Woods :D
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

:doh: missed it
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Did you hear the one where Kobayashi thinks he is a good overtaker because he has small eyes???
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

bengatta wrote:Did you hear the one where Kobayashi thinks he is a good overtaker because he has small eyes???
Nope, any chance you could post it...
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

bengatta wrote:Did you hear the one where Kobayashi thinks he is a good overtaker because he has small eyes???

Miserable mother fucker :lol:
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

just heard on the local radio that Ricciardo has a drive in F1 next year, but can't find anything online to confirm it. Fucking awesome if it's true!
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

There's been some talk about Buemi having a 6 month contract and Speedy Dan possibly taking over if he isn't up to the job. I was hoping the tie in with Lotus or Renault might get him a 2nd seat in one of those teams.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Ricciardo will definitely be a reserve driver next year and I've heard the same as woodsy with the Toro Rosso drivers only being on 6 month contracts at this stage.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

He was the red bull reserve driver last year
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has been mugged outside his central London business headquarters.

The 80-year-old suffered a head injury when he was attacked by four men at the Formula One Holdings building in Knightsbridge.

He was repeatedly punched and kicked by the men who were lying in wait for him as he arrived at the HQ with his Brazilian girlfriend Fabiana Flosi.

Jewellery valued at £200,000 was stolen in the robbery on Wednesday.

Police said Mr Ecclestone was taken to hospital where he was treated for a minor head injury before being allowed home soon after.
My Flickr Stream
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

[youtube] [/youtube]

I'm one of the silly people wearing an orange vest ... :) They weren't allowed to publise the event (promotes speeding apparently) (Although the burnouts he left probably promote hooning?). Got an invite to be a marshell and talk to the crew so took a half day off work :) Its only a shitty 2005 RB1 with RB5 kit (Cosworth V10), detuned to 14k rpm (still making 700 hp apparently). Steel wishbones, beef'd up drive shafts, pretty much a street burnout show pony display car. Still should be quick enough to break the outright lap record(s) at Barbagello on the weekend though! Crew was pretty laid back, you could literally look over their shoulder at the laptops, etc. Managed to even see what flight Webber is on (he only just flew out from London).

Just happen to have our (my baby!) 2008 Formula SAE car on after the F1 car finishes on Barbagello on the weekend for a few demo laps. Going to look like a static display after an F1 car! :rofl: