29%

Total votes: 56

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: who's buying?

Post by KNAPPO »

ysu wrote:
VTRacing wrote:Shall I inform people what ONE tyre for my rally car costs? And need I mention that at the recent Rally SA I used 12?

ONE rally tyre for us cost $250. And these are by no means the most expensive, Pirellis and Michelins go for around $400 per tyre.

iRacing seems a fairly cheap form of motorsport to me, from this distance. But I have never played it, and probably won't for a while given my PC specs. But as soon as I get a decent machine I'll be trying iRacing.
Gee you could buy a decent enough computer to play this sim for the price of a set of 4 tyres :)
But then he wouldn’t have that outrageous beast of a WRX!!!!!

I know what my choice would be if I had the funding! Especially after being lucky to get a taste of the sideways action a few weekends ago ;)
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Latch

Post by Latch »

KNAPPO wrote:
ysu wrote:
VTRacing wrote:Shall I inform people what ONE tyre for my rally car costs? And need I mention that at the recent Rally SA I used 12?

ONE rally tyre for us cost $250. And these are by no means the most expensive, Pirellis and Michelins go for around $400 per tyre.

iRacing seems a fairly cheap form of motorsport to me, from this distance. But I have never played it, and probably won't for a while given my PC specs. But as soon as I get a decent machine I'll be trying iRacing.
Gee you could buy a decent enough computer to play this sim for the price of a set of 4 tyres :)
But then he wouldn’t have that outrageous beast of a WRX!!!!!

I know what my choice would be if I had the funding! Especially after being lucky to get a taste of the sideways action a few weekends ago ;)
Exactly. Everyone has their hobby to spend money on. Some here have chosen iRacing. I would too if I wanted to spend my spare time sim racing. But I have moved on to riding a $3000 bike. Some might think a bike like that is too expensive cause they wouldn't make good use of it, and that's how I feel about iRacing :)
Monkeh!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

gasking wrote:in the end i might be jumping the gun on my negative opinion. did others lfs fans feel the same?

reading this forumn i feel people may be talking it up because they have invested heavily in it, or been following it since the early days.
Maybe all the positive talk gives people too high expectations. I definitely wasn't blown away when I first tried it but it's certainly grown on me. Ten laps practice is sfa really, it will take more than that to become accustomed to the different physics/feel, as a long time LFSer it took me a little while to get the hang of things. I think the physics are a step up from LFS and the oversteer side of things is one of the bigger improvements.
I'd certainly like to see more people try it as it will mean more numbers to race once they reach my license level but it's not why I have good things to say about it and I doubt that's the case with most people here.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Latch wrote: Exactly. Everyone has their hobby to spend money on. Some here have chosen iRacing. I would too if I wanted to spend my spare time sim racing. But I have moved on to riding a $3000 bike. Some might think a bike like that is too expensive cause they wouldn't make good use of it, and that's how I feel about iRacing :)
He he... Don't ask Sin what he paid for his bike. Or Charles... or me.. :D I dare say it's a little less than a WRX though :D

What are you belting around on Latch? Trail, Road, Pushy?
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

I just renewed early for a year and bought the whole lot of content :shock:
Colour me crazy, but this is my new sim.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Cool funksta! Hope to see ya out there :D
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
gasking

Post by gasking »

after much more driving, this does rock a little :nod:
GlenNovello

Post by GlenNovello »

Funny how most people seem underwhelmed when first trying iRacing (myself included) but after a couple of days and a few hours driving it seems to get its hooks into you.I think first impressions do disappoint because there is so much positive hype going around that it couldn't possibly live upto the hype. So its not that people that are in to the sim are pushing it down everyones throats, or are trying to justify it to themselves, its just that they genuinely believe that if you've taken the plunge you should give it some time before writing it off.
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

I just spent about $300 on iFactor...

Now, compare that with the price of taking my car to track. I did so once, my Polo GTI - and the entrance fee etc was about $150 alone, plus I had to grab a Winton club pass worth $50 or $70 or something.
For the track I had to get pad and brake oil upgrade and that was about $400. If I was to do track days regularly, I'd go threw rubber like there was no tomorrow. Easily, I'd spend $400 per track day.

Now compare this to getting a high end computer like I do have, triple monitors for ultra wide field of view that drags you in ... ok, so it might be a few thousand up front, but hey, I get to enjoy this EVERY day if I want to --- and truth to be told, I'm having *almost* as fun going on the track already with iRacing as I have with being on the track for real. When you factor in that I don't have to worry about crashing my car, and driving 2.5 hours each way ... well, I'd say it's more fun.

I got all the content now so that I could explorer it all in good time. The price of iRacing in relative terms is thus inexpensive.

I guess this is the feeling I'm getting from iRacing - it's true racing with penalites for effing up. It really drags you in, gives you the feeling of being on the track.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Put your brown trousers on and go explore Barber in the Radical for me :)

I love that track, but I'm waiting until I can grab at least 2 other things before I buy it so I can get the discount.
avaran

Post by avaran »

I thought I'd add an opinion/point of view to the discussion.

Yes or No? For the people who don't care what i think:

Yes, I'd buy it if I had the money. (Or I could convince my girlfriend into buying it for me... (Poor student, why oh why did I go back to study when I could be earning money?)

Now for the long winded bit:

I've worked out that after paying for one years subscription, enough cars and tracks for 2 rookie series, 2 advanced series, Legends road series, skip barber series, and the mazda series would cost me an extra $25 on top of the subscription, after all the discounts/bonus offers were applied).

I'm really not too interested in the oval series, altough have found the rookie legends great fun. I've never done any real oval simming. So being tight on money, just 7 series :nod: would do... (Does papy's Nascar being raced with a keyboard count as an oval sim? (The original that is, I still have the original CD and Manual!) 7 series would probably split your concentration up too much.. well for me anyway!

Now, my first impressions of the game were a little dissapointing. I thought I'd take it easy, getting used to the sim, and set out for a 'Test' run by my lonesome at Lime Rock. It was good. Starting out slowly, the car felt good, the car accelerated, turned and broke well. When I started to push, the car seemed to spin so easily, the back braking lose without warning. My first thoughts, wow this sim is realistic! And I'm just a really shit driver, what am I doing wrong? Haha... So I decided to run some laps online to see how others were running. (Mind you, my only experiences with Lime Rock was a few laps with GP Bikes Demo). So I found out, I was pretty slow, and I wasn't spinning from pushing too hard in the wrong areas.

I kept practising and eventually got a bit faster, but was running around on tender hoofs, because I couldn't quite get the feel of the car/sim. I raced a couple of races, keeping up alot of the time eventually. But it wasn't until the next week at Laguna that I started to get the sim. I like Laguna, a favourite track of mine, so I felt comfortable to push the car. It is here I started to notice the feedback from the sim, as I optomised my braking points, turn-ins and apexes. I could hear the tyres working under brakes, getting close to locking, I could feel the car seem to fight for grip in the corners, and get light as I tried to power out. The wheel would be giving me the feedback of when the rear was about to come out. It just took me a week to notice how the sim talks back to the user.

Once I understood the feedback from the sim, my lap times started dropping heaps, I was more confident to follow someone almost nose to tail for a few laps, trying to find the spot to overtake without worrying about spinning out for no reason taking both our SR's down.

The racing is intense with fellow drivers who want to race clean, fair and fast (Well, as fast as me, which is... well a bit slow!). The tracks are superb, and visual, aural and tactile feedback from the game is quite extrordinary once you get used to it, and I can't ever remember another sim feeling the same.

The only trouble for me is a low income due to study, and the lack of time due to assignments to practice enough to be very competitive (Although the hourly races on any day of the week, and divs/qualifying make up for the last point).

I've written an essay, whoops.

Oh, and funkdancer, when you do a track day, do you actually get to race against another 11 Polo GTI's, with timing, results, statistics? Hehe, lapping on track days is one thing, but the thrill of door to door competition is another... even if it is Virtual doors! Good to hear you're having so much fun with iRacing. :)
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

Great post Avaran! :)

No I didn't get to lap with other Polo GTIs - and this is a great point. It was an open sesson, with V8 UTE Supercar drivers practicing and well, real race cars the lot of them only 2-3 "road" cars. Let's just say it had me plenty on the toes coming up as quick as they did. :) I'm sort of surpised Winton has these open to just anyone, but I guess they sort out who has an idea about what they're doing and who don't pretty quickly. One thing I had the wrong way was use of indicators. I thought they were "I'm going this way", instead the common way is "please pass me on the blinking side". Had a quick chat with a nice bloke doing V8 Ute races so that was helpful. :)

I was very happy with how the GTI went by itself though, chipped and all. The rear sway bar I had added made the FWD car feel very balanced, essentially killing the chronic understeer giving me full options for steering with the right foot and I saw no need to turn traction / ESP off - I could have a fair bit of lateral movement going on if I drove smoothly without the ESP kicking in. If I did mash controls it'd step in and ensure things didn't go out of shape; I would probaby be fine leaving it off and just correcting myself but why take the chance.

Now, the very feel of driving the Polo on track, the weight transfer, the tyres pushing etc, that is one that I remember extremely clearly. And it is just about exactly the _same_ feeling I get from driving the Solistice around on iRacing. I haven't gotten this from any other sim. This is what made me put some recent over time money into it before my missus could spend it. :)
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Just checked and I have another 7 days till I have to make my subscription decision......
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Keep in mind that at that point it will automatically charge you another 1 month subscription unless you change it before then, so 6 days :)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

funkdancer it is the same down here at Phillip island with the track its a nice track but i don't own my own car so i am more of a spectator but theres always lots of different makes models, and other times its all hush hush ;) ;) :nod: :nod: :woohoo: and i have seen a few people have a big :cry: as there just smashed there pride and joy
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

A guy at work Blew his WRX engine at Eastern Creek on Thursday and his mate put his WRX in the wall!!!!!!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

dvestate wrote:A guy at work Blew his WRX engine at Eastern Creek on Thursday and his mate put his WRX in the wall!!!!!!
A nice average weekend....:D
Good thing they have the money for wrx engines and repairs
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

well thats the price of motor sport, thats why you get backers, but private running is hard if something goes wrong
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.