ORt Charity Cup ***READ, give opinions***

LFS chat
Xalies

ORt Charity Cup ***READ, give opinions***

Post by Xalies »

I came up with this idea last night and I though it's pretty good as well as the ORt members I've asked but I could use more input, I need to see if there'd be must interest in this as well...

(Based on a 20 racer scenario)

two 12 player servers
10 racers in each with two officials
15 races
10 races run in each server and the top 5 based on points race the eachother for another 5 races in the same server to determine the winner

$10 entery fee for the season

A prize to the value of appox. $100 to be awarded to first place

The rest of the money earnt to goto a worthwhile charity such as CCF or world Vision

Open to anyone in Oceania that has S1

I don't think an idea such as this has been tried in anygame that I know of but it'll be great if LFS could be the first....

Plase feel free to give ya ideas, show interest or anything thing that'll help as I really want this idea to become more then an idea
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

i like the idea except for the $100 to 1st place.

So I would change that to $0.00 and give the whole $200 to charity. Then find a sponsor (either corporate or drivers prepared to donate a few dollars) and supply a trophy to either the winner or the top 3.

just my thoughts.
--------------
Stu
Xalies

Post by Xalies »

Yeah I thought of that, but the problem is finding a real place to sponcer a "game" might seem like a bit of a joke to them

at first I was only thinking small but if most of oceania racers join even tho the prize would come out of the money ernt, more racers = more for charity

but I do agree with that 100% so maybe any ideas on a sponcer that would be nice, then I'll see what I can do
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Xalies wrote:Yeah I thought of that, but the problem is finding a real place to sponcer a "game" might seem like a bit of a joke to them

at first I was only thinking small but if most of oceania racers join even tho the prize would come out of the money ernt, more racers = more for charity

but I do agree with that 100% so maybe any ideas on a sponcer that would be nice, then I'll see what I can do
how about this for an idea of a sponsor to approach?

http://gplmovies.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=529

or do you think that sponsoring a game may be a joke to them???
--------------
Stu
YubYub

Post by YubYub »

Well, it's a good idea...I was actually getting around to thinking about something similar...
I was given $100 at a seminar I went to a month or so or go...well, I wasn't really given it, it's really God's money still. (Ok, so half of you may have died of laughter by now, but please hang in there).

SNIP

When I have a more definite lending towards a purpose for the money, I'll be putting up a site with a paypal account, where those that feel they can contribute can. So far it has already doubled, as someone has matched the original $100. I will be talking to paypal about seeing if they can remove some fees, perhaps even add a bonus to what is contributed, considering the goal of the project.
After reading this thread, I'm thinking it's very possible that such an event/season could be used to support the project.
Any ideas, suggestions, etc., are most welcomed :)

Oh, and I agree 100% to the charity cause...If we really need something for the winners...how bout we get digital trophies designed ;) Much cheaper, and they don't clutter up your house :)

Yub Yub, you know I don't care for your religous outlook on life, but most of the time I will tolerate your ravings, but not religious SPAM. I dont give a rodents posterior if you think I am being out of hand, keep your zealot links outta here.

norbs
Xalies

Post by Xalies »

:rofl: opps forgot about them and well they are our sponsors already so how could I... :yikes: (sorry XGN) yeah i'll do that
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I'm saying that this $100 is different from any other $100 note I've seen before
lol

buy a carton of piss and a packet of smokes with it and the fifty you get back in change will look like every other fifty you have seen. :tilt:
--------------
Stu
Chaz
Stig

Post by Chaz »

:oldie:
YubYub

Post by YubYub »

mmmm, wonder what they'd have to say about that when we go to the 'accountability meeting' :P
Montey

Post by Montey »

Dude... this smacks of either Scientology or, worse yet, the Landmark program.

I seen mates go through this stuff, and they go in being very rational, logical well adjusted people and come out depressed, thinking they are so imperfect, that the program is their only way to salvation.

This kind of crusading and evangalising is one of the most dangerous forms of mass manipulation that exists today.

Specific to Yub's above posting....

The people who pool their money and then get robbed, all loose their money and starve together. The person who hid his money away from the others still has his. The moral of this is that by not pooling the funds in to a single point you reduce the risk that the single point will be robbed and in the event that one person is robbed the others still have money to help them out.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

What about this charity event? :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Blitzer

Post by Blitzer »

Montey wrote:Dude... this smacks of either Scientology or, worse yet, the Landmark program.

I seen mates go through this stuff, and they go in being very rational, logical well adjusted people and come out depressed, thinking they are so imperfect, that the program is their only way to salvation.

This kind of crusading and evangalising is one of the most dangerous forms of mass manipulation that exists today.

Specific to Yub's above posting....
Amen :jesus:

Beware the brainwashers yub :hide:
[SCR] Blitzer
Southern Cross Racing
Threeps

Post by Threeps »

norbs wrote:What about this charity event? :)
When are you riding to Melbourne? The site hasn't got details of donating. If you already have that side worked out, I think you should put the details up. Which other Arse's are going with you?

edit: I just found the other thread, oops. :D
pogo

Post by pogo »

1/ nice idea, and yeah, i reckon the lot should go to charity.

2/ I'm an atheist, but a little phrase I do believe in is the ends justifying the means. I can't really remember what the edited bit of Yubs post was about, but it sounded like someone needy somewhere may at some point get some money, and all I had to do is tolerate it... /me shrugs

oh well, just wanted to say that in my opinion, that shit needs to be toned down Yub, but also that those with the red pens don't necessarily speak for me.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Chaz wrote::oldie:
I dont know quiet what u meant by that, but im laughing anyway :P
norbs

Post by norbs »

pogo wrote: oh well, just wanted to say that in my opinion, that shit needs to be toned down Yub, but also that those with the red pens don't necessarily speak for me.

Thats right, I dont speak for you. Probably for the best. Yub Yubs link was to, what I consider, a pyramid scheme. You can argue all you like about its virtues, but from the little reading I did about it, it smacks of a pyramid scheme. Im not going to argue any further about it, try arguing with any 'network marketing' zealot. Amway anyone?
Montey

Post by Montey »

norbs wrote:
pogo wrote: oh well, just wanted to say that in my opinion, that shit needs to be toned down Yub, but also that those with the red pens don't necessarily speak for me.

Thats right, I dont speak for you. Probably for the best. Yub Yubs link was to, what I consider, a pyramid scheme. You can argue all you like about its virtues, but from the little reading I did about it, it smacks of a pyramid scheme. Im not going to argue any further about it, try arguing with any 'network marketing' zealot. Amway anyone?
I did, once. Took me 4 weeks of solid debating with him, and it was proper debating, before he saw the light and told them where to shove their program. I was so knackered at the end of it, I haven't taken on one of these true faith zealots in years. To this date he buys me beer.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
pogo

Post by pogo »

i had no intention of arguing about it, quite frankly I don't care... just making a point. It's your sandpit, norbs :)
YubYub

Post by YubYub »

Montey wrote:Dude... this smacks of either Scientology or, worse yet, the Landmark program.

I would go into details of what the seminar was about, but not everyone wants to here that, so if you do, I'll speak on MSN. But basically, the seminar was regarding strategies to better our various ministies, with a particular focus on youth ministries. The 'Kingdom Assignment' served two purposes, one, to put into practice what we had learnt, and two, to bless someone(s) who needed blessing.

So to claim that I needed that program for my salvation is wrong, I already had my salvation, but again, I can't go into detail on that. I did not come out depressed, but rather keen and excited about the potential future.

If you need the booklet to see this, then I'll get scanning...

To Norbs, apologies for what you deemed as unreasonable. I will not argue with you, because 1) You own this place, and 2) I agree that people should not be 'bible bashed' or similar, and I appreciate being told that what I am doing/saying is considered that way, as while I want everyone to know what I know, I understand there's a time and place for such transfer of information. I just did not realize what I had typed would come across as pushy, I was just trying to let people know of what was going on, and give background on it.

Also, what makes it a pyramid scheme, and maybe even better, what IS a pyramid scheme. Why are they bad? *Goes googling*
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

To Norbs, apologies for what you deemed as unreasonable. I will not argue with you, because 1) You own this place
:yikes:

:rofl: Norbs doesnt own anything. (he came close to owning a pussy in a brothel once but the judge ruled against his claim of squatters rights) :aussie:
--------------
Stu
YubYub

Post by YubYub »

http://www.pyramidschemealert.org/PSAMa ... amids.html...
I'm glad you think so highly of me...
norbs

Post by norbs »

YubYub wrote:http://www.pyramidschemealert.org/PSAMa ... amids.html...
I'm glad you think so highly of me...
OK, maybe Pyramid scheme isn't the term I should have used. But I still say there is something a little unsettling about the whole premise. Maybe it is my cynical view about money for nothing. Not sure. When I get time I will try and sort out what it is that bothers me most about Kingdom Assignment.

As for owning this place, nah ah. Its Rods house this one. :)
YubYub

Post by YubYub »

Cheers, I would appreciate that.

And I just jumped to conclusions on what your sandpit was.
Latch

Post by Latch »

The idea of a race for charity is a good one. Although, I would only participate depending on where the money goes.

Let me just say that I would support Norb's cause before the Kindom's Assignment :p
YubYub

Post by YubYub »

Hmm, just noticed something huge that was cut from my post Norbs.
Is it ok for me to repost this...
The 'Kingdom Assignment' would be giving the money to the creation of an orphanage in Sri Lanka, for those affected by the Tsunami.
Now, I'm not saying this is more imperitive than Norb's cause, his is a good one aswell, from what I can gather - I'm still not sure exactly which children he's trying to help out - maybe I need to read the site more carefully. But it's certainly no less important I would not have thought. Unless you think something in Australia is more worth while than O/S, which I suppose could be a fair way of thinking.