DiRT Rally

General game chat
LeNwAr

Re: DiRT Rally

Post by LeNwAr »

I'm quite impressed with the amount of distance off the track it gives you if you fall off, adds a little more realism to it. Flew about 100m down the side of a hill earlier before it booted me back to the track with a busted up car.

I even wrecked my car so much in one stage that I managed to get a DNF for the rest of the stages in that round....that was upsetting
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197991681104]Image[/url]
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I did that for 2 events in a row just now :/
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sounds like this is far more mature than just a pre-release game by your descriptions. My resolve is wavering, too :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Whos keen if I set up an ARSE league? I was thinking of an event a week, maybe 6 stages?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Those of you with FFB issues would probably agree with the below video. And something good has come from it.

Codemasters (DiRT) Community Manager:
Steve our Physics guy, Nick and Paul who do the car handling, Paul Coleman the Chief Game designer and myself had a skype call with him today. Really smart guy and he knows his stuff inside out, its the kind of feedback like this we need too. Good in-depth feedback that we can work with.

Dom (the guys name) has given us a lot to think about, we're going to get to work on it and when we have something to show he's agreed to come down and help us fine tune the new settings. I won't lie this isn't the kind of thing we're going to fix in a few days but we will of course keep you all updated.

Feel free to talk to Dom about the call too, I've told him that he's free to discuss our conversation and what he thought - we don't want anything like this to be a secret.

Betta Lines:
"I've posted this on GAF, but I'll stick it here too:

I spoke to Codemasters via Skype today, Lee conducted the chat, Paul was listening in, and the three physics guys had a bunch of questions for me. A shaky connection meant that the video chat didn't last long before we had to switch to audio, which probably made it even more difficult to explain myself!

The matter of self-aligning torque was discussed, and there was a suggestion that this 'inverted' feeling was at least partly down to the fact that the feedback is optimised for short rotations, making it reach the other side of the output curve too soon, or something along those lines. I discussed how the majority of PC sims do wheel calibration, turning through the full range and then doing the 90 degree left/right so that there is a 1:1 relationship between your wheel's rotation and the sim, and it sounded like they were keen to add something like that to the menus. We also discussed how this countersteering sensation would change depending on the surface type, but that is something very hard to explain over the phone!

In any case they are aware of the problem, and they've invited me to the studio to give more hands-on feedback once they made some changes. I'm not sure when that'll be, but I'll gladly accept.

I'm very pleased to see Codies being so open about this project - as others have said, it's Early Access done right. "
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Fantastic. Good on codemasters.
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

Cannot believe Codies are listening to the public. All their other games are released then forgotten as they immediately move onto the next project.
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
petey

Post by petey »

Keen for some ARSE challenges
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

WTF is with the steering animation lag???
Can the wheel be removed from the cockpit view, if not then it's a deal breaker for me until they do. :(

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Nope, that's one of the biggest issues at the moment. I don't use the cockpit view because I find it too distracting, I just use the camera mounted on the dash or on the bonnet. Hopefully they get onto it soon enough.

It's similar in project cars where the wheel wiggles around all over the place, even though you actual wheel is dead still.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Righteous wrote:Nope, that's one of the biggest issues at the moment. I don't use the cockpit view because I find it too distracting, I just use the camera mounted on the dash or on the bonnet. Hopefully they get onto it soon enough.

It's similar in project cars where the wheel wiggles around all over the place, even though you actual wheel is dead still.
It feels like a form of assist going on, it is doing the small corrections itself and only letting you do the big movements. I was thinking it was part of the reason you don't really need to correct a small slide and can't get the ass out even if you try. I could be wrong and it could just be that numb.

It sounds like the right people are telling them to make it good, let's hope they listen.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I haven't watched this yet but I usually like what EB has to say about sims in general.

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've watched the other one above, it talked about a messed up FF - that's a big problem.
This last one is just too long winded, I've watched a few mins but it's far too drawn out. I'm afraid the important bits are hidden in the rabble. If there was an executive summary that'd be good.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

With the amount of driving games they have made.. you would of thought the steering would be good by now.

Like in a Video above, you turn off FFB and it goes ok, turn it on and well it is compromised.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

Fucking frustrating game, leading the 60's event, last round, 90% finished and I rub a guard rail, car spins across the track and off a fucking cliff:P Game over, rally over, finished last... sigh.

Just wish they polished it a bit more before releasing it (I know its early access) but the lack of a mouse in the menus (a sin) or proper steering wheel support is inexcusable.

Also turned off FF, kills the sim a bit but makes it much nicer to steer.
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

You could have restarted the stage??

Having said that, I can't figure out how to win those events in the Lancia... My best is 3rd overall in the tarmac/snow rally. One stage, just for shits and giggles, I repeated about 15 times to see if I could get the fastest time... and couldn't. I was launching it into corners recklessly and no way you would drive the way I was if you'd never driven the stage before. I'm not the fastest guy in the world, but i'm no slouch either (usually). I think some are much harder than others to get near the leaders times. Or maybe I damage my car too much. I have won stages in group B. So i dunno.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

So i grabbed this, and I cant get the logitech Profiler to work on win 8. anyone know of a work around?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hmmm I'd give windows 7 a go instead.

Sorry I couldn't help it :D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

So helpful Haha
richo

Post by richo »

I have no issues getting the profiler to work on Win 8.

Have run it as administrator? Pretty sure thats all I had to do from memory.
[]D [] []v[] []D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Tried that. And comparability mode
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Cant get the program to load at all or just work with dirt?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Install or Load. it just says its installed, but its not actually been installed. its weird.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I've had that happen on 7 before. Try downloading the 64 bit version if you have try the other one then try again
Hello :aussie:
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Yeah you have to make sure you've got the 32bit or 64bit to match your OS. One of the links downloads a 32bit version even though it's labelled 64. I remeber I had that problem now.