DiRT Rally

General game chat
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: DiRT Rally

Post by DexterPunk »

Feel exactly the same as Righty... Feels very lifeless in the hands, but a lot happening. And agree there's a tone of potential here. Having said that I don't have enough 'credits'. To buy anything but an old FWD Lancia :/
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Just go to a custom mode and you can drive anything.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Enforcer-J wrote:Can you set it up for less rotation, say 540?

I dont think rally cars have 900 degrees of rotation...... VT?
z

Yeah, I set it to 540 in profiler. Feels better. Also turned FFB down and wheel weight waaaaaayyy down and it felt better to control. I used the dashboard cam in the end as I found the steering wheel very distracting.

Once I tweaked it a little I found I was starting to get into a groove. Roll over physics are great. The car has a good sense of weight too. Need to get a bit braver to start to get the thing to slide.

I'll go back for more later in the week.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah just worked that out righty lol.

I thought perhaps the epic under steer is just the Lancia but the Impreza under steers like a mofo too. Managed to dial it out a bit with some setup adjustments but still quite evident in slow corners.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

They do that in real life in slow corners...
:teach:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hmmm even after coming to a stop and giving it a boot full? I kinda expected the arse end to come out, but I keep finding myself having to go back to the hand brake a couple of times to get it around.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Having driven a lot of VT's LFS race sets I can attest to the understeer of a rally car! :rofl:

I will give it a go after the race tonight, that is if I have the energy after 2 hours of Spa in a GTR GT3 Monster.

It does sound promising though as many people talk about AC's understeer when in fact it is just one of the very few Sims you have to use weight transfer to get around (like you would IRL?!).

(EDIT: removed the word complain)
Last edited by renesis37 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's not so much a complaint for me. Just an observation. I have no idea how these things should behave. I'm glad we have VT's input. if that's what you'd generally expect in the real world, then it should be there.

My only complaint is what Righty has already highlighted. The lack of feel in the force feedback, and some issues trying to get the right setup for a 900 degree rotation wheel.

The only other thing I felt was a bit annoying was all the options in the menus were listed as button numbers. I have no idea where button 17 is.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

In the end I think somewhere around 500 degrees would be better. Once I started pushing last night it really started to show what it could be. TBH, I don't know what you would do with FFB, it would probably be competely irritating with the wheel was just vibrating the whole time, but I'm pretty convinced by the physics.

Here's a run on a stage I did last night. Still hadn't worked out where the handbrake was, so was struggling to deal with hairpins and still had my wheel set to 900, which I think is too slow. VT, have you got any idea what they would be lock to lock?

It's certainly a pretty game.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Righteous wrote:In the end I think somewhere around 500 degrees would be better. Once I started pushing last night it really started to show what it could be. TBH, I don't know what you would do with FFB, it would probably be competely irritating with the wheel was just vibrating the whole time, but I'm pretty convinced by the physics.

Here's a run on a stage I did last night. Still hadn't worked out where the handbrake was, so was struggling to deal with hairpins and still had my wheel set to 900, which I think is too slow. VT, have you got any idea what they would be lock to lock?
Probably about 720, but you should never be using that much while driving unless it's all going horribly wrong.

Maybe there's something in the settings which is causing the steering to be too linear? The car should want to change direction with small steering inputs, even with a 900 degree steering rack.

Count the turns on this one?

:teach:
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I reckon I will buy this and give it a go. Looks fun
Hello :aussie:
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Ditto, Im not exactly cashed up so I'm going to give up purchasing RaceRoom DLC's for this. I've got AC from my circuit needs :)
petey

Post by petey »

Have gone for 20% wheel weight and 70% wheel strength and feedback is ok. I changed lock to around 570 if IIRC and also changed ingame steering linearity to -2.

What bugs me, is that when set to default logitech g27 it maps all menu features to buttons I don't have. As I don't have the gear/dpad connected at the moment. Makes navigating a PITA when not in race.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Possible FFB fix!

Go to the following folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DiRT Rally\forcefeedback\

Make a backup copy of effectsetup.xml and open it.

Copy and paste the below code into it and save.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<FFBEffects soloRampRate="1000" soloAttenuation="0">

<FFBEffectSelfAligningTorque device="wheel" scale="1.0"/>

<FFBlateral device="wheel" scale="1.0" velocityFactor="0.03" frictionGripScalar="60.0" frictionSurfaceScalar="5.0"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.3" sample="smallCollisionWheel"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.6" sample="largeCollisionWheel"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="2.5" thresholdHigh="20.0" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.07" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionLow"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.07" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionHigh"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionLow"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionHigh"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.5" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionLow"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.5" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionHigh"/>

<FFBSkid device="wheel" scale="0.55" thresholdLow="0.9" thresholdHigh="1.1" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="4" freqHigh="30.0" load="1.0" length="0.2" sample="skidBack"/>

<FFBSkid device="wheel" scale="0.45" thresholdLow="1.0" thresholdHigh="1.3" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="16.0" freqHigh="16.0" load="1.0" length="0.1" sample="skidFront"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.045" thresholdLow="0.06" thresholdHigh="1.0" length="0.1" freq="5" sample="suspensionR1"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.045" thresholdLow="0.06" thresholdHigh="1.0" length="0.1" freq="5" sample="suspensionL1"/>

<FFBRevs device="wheel" scale="0.1" thresholdLow="0.1" thresholdHigh="1.2" freqLow="1" freqHigh="20.0" scaleLow="0.2" scaleHigh="0.95" length="0.1" sample="revEffect"/>

<FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="61125521121"/>

<FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98721" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="986454321"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="982312531"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="986454321" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="982312531" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="skidBack" wave="9" envelope="9" channel="0" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="skidFront" wave="9" envelope="9" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98675462584" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98765432629" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98675462594" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98765432628" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionR1" wave="9" envelope="9564720" channel="0"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionL1" wave="1" envelope="9564720" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="revEffect" wave="91" envelope="9" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionWheel" wave="124689" envelope="97654321000"/>

<FFBSample name="largeCollisionWheel" wave="5697641345" envelope="9879987542312"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionWheel" wave="64" envelope="9"/>

</FFBEffects>
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Does it also remove the slight steering assist? something isn't right with the physics too, you can't really slide it.. Like it stops lateral movements a bit too much. It feels very arcade game to me. Not that I have driven a rally car (yet). I drove the E30.

I hope some proper drivers have some input into this. Has anyone found a forum where we can post suggestions and bugs?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Codemasters have their own forum
http://forums.codemasters.com/categories/dirt-games

Feedback thread
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussio ... dback-list

Or you could use the steam forums. They have a suggestions sticky thread there as well which the devs appear to be reading.
LeNwAr

Post by LeNwAr »

Been loving this game so far. After being a huge fan of the old school Colin McRae games, it's refreshing to see them going back to the roots of the game again. I think they just tried too hard with the last few games to make them into something they weren't meant to be.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197991681104]Image[/url]
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Good review here. Doesnt go into the actual handling/physics too much but answers a lot of other questions.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

renesis37 wrote:Does it also remove the slight steering assist? something isn't right with the physics too, you can't really slide it.. Like it stops lateral movements a bit too much. It feels very arcade game to me. Not that I have driven a rally car (yet). I drove the E30.
I had a lot of fun on the snow/ice stages :D
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Almost off the edge right at the end Righty....

Game looks awesome, need more time to play PC games
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

dvestate wrote:Almost off the edge right at the end Righty....

Game looks awesome, need more time to play PC games
Haha, yeah, got a bit cocky.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Bugger you blokes, I was adamant I'd wait for this to get out of early access before buying... Now I'm finding it hard to resist.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Ive got it benchmarking now :) looks good!
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I dunno Duke. It's not there yet. I don't think you'll miss out too badly if you don't pick it up. The wheel stuff really needs some work.

I'm curious to see how the next update goes. After spending more time on it tonight, I'm not convinced yet. Time will tell.
petey

Post by petey »

No sensation through the wheel of locked brakes or plow understeer. Makes braking and turn in a massive PITA, mostly in the mini as I have been trying to go through the championship.

Also of note, just had a bash in the Quattro on gravel. It appears to have the most ridiculous engine braking, off throttle it will drop from 100-60 in no time by itself.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.