Mac OSX Mavericks

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Mac OSX Mavericks

Post by Hazelb »

All you Macheads..well maybe 2 or 3 of you!

Im still running Snow Leopard and notice the mavericks is a fre upgrade re OS...

Have any of you updated? Quite a few reviews out there that a negative i nature....

Thoughts?
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: Mac OSX Mavericks

Post by Big Kev »

Yep.
Works fine.

Not massively different to previous versions but works just fine and adds a couple of features you might use. I like the map thing where you can find a location/route and send it to your iphone to then use as a satnav.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

If you use any sort of networking, be careful. Samba implementation is fucked.

My transfer speeds went from an already shite 50meg to 12-20meg a second.

That and the fact it just loses connection to my server. Or says files are in use when they aren't.

For a 3.5 year old machine like mine, it was a disaster.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:If you use any sort of networking, be careful. Samba implementation is fucked.

That and the fact it just loses connection to my server. Or says files are in use when they aren't.
Sounds like everyday where I work. Its lucky they pay me to use this glorified piece of rubbish. :melt:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Mavericks is excellent... No complaints here. Has really nice support for multiple screens if you use more than one. When I installed it on my Macbook Air, battery life went up to around 14-15 hours. I did a boot camp install of Windows 7 a couple of weeks back, and it gets around 5 hours lol.

iMessage straight from the computer is awesome too. Can't wait till they introduce phone calls with Yosemite. AirDrop between all devices is going to be great too.
norbs

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:
norbs wrote:If you use any sort of networking, be careful. Samba implementation is fucked.

Sounds like everyday where I work. Its lucky they pay me to use this glorified piece of rubbish. :melt:
Yep. Lion was good. Mountain Lion, not so much. Mavericks is just plain fucking hopeless. Guy up the road just bought a new iMac 27" and he is trying to get Lion on it because Mavericks is such a fuck up. He is having the same issues as me. Networking is fucked.

His video editing though is great with the new beefier system. Pity he can't transfer the files to any off his network shares
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I've not had an issue with my WD NAS, or moving files between my windows machines. What's the issue he's having??
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I keep getting network locations drop off after as short as 5 mins.
Files I create on the network become corrupt. You save a file and go to open it at a later date and it says the file is empty or it simply cant open it.
Cant save over Flash or some Photoshop files. Have to work local then move the file to the network...
Bridge shortcuts to network locations are useless as it forgets the darn network location.
Finder is painfully slow, like 30 seconds to populate the contents of a network folder...

Shit, i even plugged in a USB cable that crashed this Mac, couldn't restart it without pulling the power cable out of the wall.

The Mac im using is on a Windows enterprise network which is causing a lot of the pain points that we are suffering. The IT geeks are looking into it but in the mean time its hard arse work!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That sucks.

I have bridge setup to access my NAS and I'm editing off it directly. It's a tad slow, but it always has been really. It's slow if I use my windows machine as well. It's just the cheap NAS in general being a bit of a slug. Populating in finder though is very fast for me though. Granted it's a pretty basic home network, so it's not much of a comparison to windows enterprise network. The MacPros at melb uni are running Mavericks, no problems as yet accessing the network there.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

We are starting our first week trailing "Extreme Z IP" here at work. Fingers crossed it fixes things.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Now that I am sitting in front of the iMac, it is all coming back to me.

Mail App now refuses to check mail when you click the button. Can be 30 minutes before new mail comes in.

Unzipping things takes so much longer that I actually use TeamViewer and do it on the games machine in the shed.

Preview crashes if I open multiple files.

I use to love OS X. Now it is driving me fucking mad.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Fuck..Im glad I asked...

I might pass I think!

My unit is around 2 year old...might be better the devil you know!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Norbs is something not right with it perhaps? It shouldn't be doing any of those things.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Haze why not time machine backup, try the newer OS, and if you have issues restore it back. I've found it to be an improvement personally.

Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Do I need an external drive to time machine? Good idea by the way!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah, or a separate partition on the drive from the system drive. Easier to use an external though. It's good to have a backup of your system anyway I reckon.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

The..did a bit of reading seems pretty simple, will set it up. Might buy myself a new drive 1tb even to use...:-)
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

I thought time machine just keeps old versions of files and deleted files? Not sure if you can restore back from a system OS upgrade?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Restoring your entire system from a backup

If you are restoring a backup made by a Mac to the same Mac

Hold down the Command and R keys at startup to start the computer from the Recovery system. The Recovery menu that appears includes the option to restore from a Time Machine backup. If you are using Mac OS X Snow Leopard, start your computer from the installation disc. Then use the "Restore From Time Machine Backup" utility.

Note: If "You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model of Mac" appears when restoring a backup that was made on a different Mac, follow the onscreen instructions. If you are trying to restore your backup from one Mac to another Mac, use Migration Assistant to transfer data from the backup instead, as described in the next section.

From
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

plastik8 wrote:I thought time machine just keeps old versions of files and deleted files? Not sure if you can restore back from a system OS upgrade?
Nah it basically just mirrors your system. You can restore straight from it. Very handy.

MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

For a 3.5 year old machine like mine, it was a disaster.

Funny enough we have muppets in our IT department and hopefully as knappo mentioned with some Mac engineers will sort the minor issues.

But reading up on articles Maverick is dung! Think snowy is more reliable and let's hope yosie is proved

What I see a lot in all operating systems it's how they focus on prettiness and lame social interaction - but should focus on quality control in how shit works - both Apple and Microsoft are to blame, these days all the give shits about is making coin and who to take to court LOL.

Just for the record I have both operating systems each have there goods nothing is perfect

Hey it's only a computer right? LOL
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Sounds like 10.6 is the new 10.4.
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

Knappo this might help your question today...

Also anyone having issues spanning windows between 2 screens try this option:

Information from: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23507673#23507673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is not a "nerd-impressing ability" it use to be a great way to see database or spreadsheed with lots of columns at the same time -- a major reason to having two monitors next to each other.

Wait -- just found a solution -- Under Mission Control settings in System Preferences turn off "Displays have separate Spaces" than log off and log back in again.

This does lose the menu bar on the second screens (which I liked) but I think it is worth it to have windows overlapping my two screens.

Brian
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

WOO HOO, cheers buddy.

Not only did this fix my document windows spanning across 2 screens but it also stopped the dock annoyingly appearing on the 2nd screen when i took the mouse anywhere near the bottom of the screen. DOUBLE WIN!
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Well...

DLd last week and been doing a little research over the past few days, building up a bit of courage I guess given my lack of knowledge of the Macs workings.

Red a few tut's and took the plunge this arvo.

So far, all good with no noticeable difference.

I also got myself a drive Dex and did my first Time Machine back up...how good is that program! Isolating and recovering a file from the past...simple and almost instant!

Hope the OP system runs as smoothly as it has previously!