Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Sarsippius

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Sarsippius »

That's great that it came before the long weekend. The biggest gripe from me would be the godrays, I didn't expect them to be as bad as they are but it's a trade off as the clarity and sweet spot is massively improved over the DK2.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

And have people seeing different things on the same coaster.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Where "internet" actually means "noisy elements on reddit".
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Raced with it yet Cursed?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

There's at least 3 of us using rifts for the Friday night AC races, including Cursed. Though one is using DK2.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Yeah I was on DK2, but still worked fine.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

c.j wrote:Raced with it yet Cursed?
It would be accurate to say that I haven't been racing without it since it turned up.

I do get some steamy/fogginess at times, but I figure it's nothing on what a real driver might contend with. The only time I feel any motion-related weirdness is when I put the car in reverse. I get a bit of a headspin going, but that's the worst of it.

Pretty happy having voice-attack hooked up. I say "show apps" and I have all my information, then I can say "hide apps" and it's just me and the car.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Question for GT and others who have dk2 knowledge..

Is it worth getting a dk2 for Assetto Corsa over the cv1? Condsidering the $1k price difference :/
Will it be supported by games in the future and how well does a gtx 970 power it in RL?
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I haven't tried the CV1 so I can't compare, but I think the DK2 is good enough.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Thanks man, just thinking about futute support and for games like dirt rally that it might be better to go the cv1.. but i dont think im that keen!
hylas

Post by hylas »

What about that Razor OSVR one that was mentioned not that long ago? Wasn't that one similar specs? I haven't looked, but I remember something about it just being a headset with positional detecting thingy and not much else. Wouldn't that be an option for those of us that would be just using VR for racing/flying ?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

DK2 should work fine so long as Oculus support it, they have indicated that it won't be supported indefinitely. I think I saw mention of 12 months on their forum but from their point of view continuing support is only to enable developers to continue developing with it.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

hylas wrote:What about that Razor OSVR one that was mentioned not that long ago? Wasn't that one similar specs? I haven't looked, but I remember something about it just being a headset with positional detecting thingy and not much else. Wouldn't that be an option for those of us that would be just using VR for racing/flying ?
I'm keeping my eye on the OSVR for that very reason. Mind you the Vive is where my heart is.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Looks like they'll start selling Vive's in the Microsoft store soon. They might be able to cut the shipping cost down but I guess it will still be around the $1400 mark unless they Aussie tax it.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/ms ... 1925804100
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Surprising given the apparent reported relationship between Oculus and Microsoft. I thought it would be an exclusive partnership. Doesn't bother me, so long as I can use one of them on PSXbox.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hey guys, I need a little bit of advice regarding cost. I need to provide work with a price to order it in. But on the oculus site it seems quite difficult to work out. After changing the address the cost went from $599 to $649... Would that be GST? Or shipping? At the moment $649USD roughly converts to $869. But that seems too cheap? Even if the $649 USD is with shipping included, and then you add on GST, it's only about $955 and I thought the oculus was costing people over $1100?

Cheers.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

When I did my pre-order, the cost (USD 650) included GST. Shipping was poisonously expensive and added on top of the USD650, but was later removed as a good-will gesture when everyone was delayed.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks for that Cursed. I'm surprised shipping is so much, that would have to be nearly $170 USD ($227 AUD) to ship it, if it's to get up near the $1100 mark. Unless i'm missing something. If that's the case, it is what it is. I just wish the Oculus website would give you an indication of shipping cost. They want you to plug in CC details before even giving you a total cost. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

From memory, shipping was something like $130 USD initially.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Cheers! I'll have to just try and give them an estimated price bracket and hopefully that's good enough and they 'OK' it.

Thanks again for your help.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

My original email was USD 781, I think originally we weren't sure if that included GST or not and even now I'm not really sure if it does. The estimates of around $1,200 I think were because we were thinking if we hit that $1k import threshold then we'd have to add GST + import duty on top. Waiving the shipping really helped us reducing the cost and staying under the $1k threshold.

If it's still USD 781 delivered then you'll go over that $1k threshold with the conversion rate at the moment and at the very least have to pay import duty on top, GST I don't know. Looking at my email invoice now it says it includes 10% VAT of 53.28 Euro lol, I don't think VAT is 10% so maybe that does mean 10% GST is included in the price.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The shipping cost is silly. I was looking into getting a rift and I need to spend over $1400 as I need a GPU. I have a 7970 but the rest of my PC is fine for a rift. I like AMD GPU's as I've had over a decade of flawless use from them but all the comparisons of the current generation cards to my 7970 just don't make it worth upgrading.
Minister for Religious Genocide.