Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DarrenM

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by DarrenM »

Just got an SMS saying it'll be delivered on Tuesday. 1 day late for the long weekend but it'll be nice to finally have it.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

vrcovers are available now. I can't get the cc payment to work though :(

Works out to $35AUD for 2 covers including shipping.

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-vr-cover/
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Thanks for the heads up, I've got the covers for the DK2 so I'll grab some of these.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I tried to order these too Darren and got a CC error. Followed by an SMS from my Bank checking if it was dodgy.

I haven't bothered to re-attempt
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I tried again yesterday but it still didn't work.

In other news, there's a big box on my desk and I have to wait all day before I can open it :(

They're only shipping to Sydney and Melbourne so far, but haven't specified why.

Also, the charge on my cc expired so I have the unit and I haven't even paid for it. 3rd time shipping a product and they've managed to fuck up almost every part of the process. At least the exchange rate is moving in a favourable direction. When they get around to charging again it should be a little bit cheaper.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Congrats!!

From what I've seen, people with DK2's feel it's more an incremental upgrade rather than a massive leap. I'm curious to see what you think. I've never tried any of them so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

When was your order? I'm like 6:32 or there about. The wait is very, very painful. Plus the fact that people who are ordered PC bundles last week are getting their Rifts already, is mega kick in the nads.

I'm sure I'll get over it once mine ships, but I'm a little bit soured by the whole experience.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

DarrenM wrote: In other news, there's a big box on my desk and I have to wait all day before I can open it :(
I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic over here with a xx34xx order number.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

My order was about 10:30. If you got the sms from fedex you should get it today. If you didn't get an sms check your order and see if it has a tracking number.
Cursed wrote:I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic over here with a xx34xx order number.
I didn't get up at 3am on launch day for nothing :p
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

My order was confirmed on 7 January 2016 at 09:37 local time. That converts to a 14:37 on the US west coast. I doubt I made it into this batch.

I think my original shipping estimate was for May, so we'll see if they make that or their updated estimate of June 20-30th.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

DarrenM wrote:My order was about 10:30. If you got the sms from fedex you should get it today. If you didn't get an sms check your order and see if it has a tracking number.
Cursed wrote:I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic over here with a xx34xx order number.
I didn't get up at 3am on launch day for nothing :p
10:30?

As in 10 minutes and 30 seconds after orders were opened?

I don't have any order confirmation or anything like that at this stage. I got the 1-3 week email, then a further one saying it was delayed. Now my order page says may 5-12.

It seems Aus is getting some of their orders processed even if they are technically a later order, which is great for you guys.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Yeah, 10 mins after open. I guess they allocated a batch of units to the region which gets us a little out of sequence due to having fewer orders.

Despite pointing out earlier in the thread that you were in the US, I forgot. You should update your location :)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Mint, I live in Brisbane and so I get a delay? This entire process has been a proper cluster fuck
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The bloke that gave me a go on his dev one got his 2 yesterday and is raving about it. Might give it a go on the weekend. Silky smooth is his call.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

You should :)

My first impression was a bit of a mixed bag, but mostly positive.

It feels lighter, even though it's actually slightly heavier than DK2. The head straps to a good job of keeping the weight off your face. I had a hard time getting the strap tightness right. A fraction too tight and it'll cut into your face. Fraction too loose and it wobbles around. vrcovers might help with that.

Tracking is improved. Much smoother and feels like it's matching my movement more closely. 90Hz would be helping the smoothness as well.

Spent most of my time in LFS and it's great. The image is clear out as far as I need to see. Corners no longer look blurry as I approach them. There's still a slight screen door effect, but the lines are so thin I don't think I'd really call it a screen door any more.

Tried Elite and wasn't so impressed. While it's much easier to read text etc and looks a lot better in general, the flaring in my lenses is pretty bad. A dark background with bright areas and points of light isn't good. People have suggested using a darker HUD theme to reduce the contrast so I'll have to try that. Either that or pretend I've got the JJ Abrams edition.

I was hoping to use it to watch movies and stuff in virtual cinema. The resolution is good enough, but the flaring is so distracting that I don't think I could put up with it. Virtual desktop was also really bad with flaring off all desktop icons etc. They might work better with a bright background around the virtual screen instead of a dark one. People say there's less flaring in the Vive. I think I'm going to have to place another order for one and see how it compares.

I've noticed the apparent scale of objects is larger for me. That's a good thing in Elite because previously everything looked too small. But in LFS where it already looked ok, everything now looks a bit too large.

There's no adjustment to move the lenses away from my eyes like DK2 had. I think they're too close because I can see the square box around the panels and there's a dim reflection off it in bright scenes.

In LFS they implemented "move the mouse pointer with your head" interface, which is apparently required to get on the Oculus store. It's truly awful for complex menus. After remapping my controls etc 3 times because it wasn't saving my settings I had a really sore neck. I also had the FFB up too high which wouldn't have helped.

Everything I've tried has run smoothly on my 780Ti.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

DarrenM wrote:... Tried Elite and wasn't so impressed. While it's much easier to read text etc and looks a lot better in general, the flaring in my lenses is pretty bad. A dark background with bright areas and points of light isn't good. People have suggested using a darker HUD theme to reduce the contrast so I'll have to try that. Either that or pretend I've got the JJ Abrams edition...
So, is it something you can tune out once you get into the game, or is it a constant distraction that makes things actually difficult? Personally, I'm okay with some stray visual effects - I wear glasses normally and I'm constantly looking through spotty/smeary lenses. My old man eyes mean that my real world comes with visual noise and "god rays".
DarrenM wrote:...Everything I've tried has run smoothly on my 780Ti.
This is encouraging.

I'm keen to try some of the open cockpit cars in pCARS as well.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I think you could tune out, or at least get used to it so it seems normal. I only had a brief go, travelling from one orbital to another with 4 jumps between.

It was only off the UI that I found it distracting so I'll play with the HUD colours and see how it goes. Need to try some RES bounty hunting as well. Galaxy map movement was a bit choppy when panning around. I think that's a symptom of falling back onto time warp.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Do you have any other information on why NSW and Vic are ahead of other states? Just curious to know what the delay is.

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Only what's in this thread and as usual they're not giving much info. Look for posts by theTwistgibber. He's the oculus support guy.

They didn't meet/misinterpreted some shipping compliance requirements. There was speculation it's some regulation changes relating to shipping batteries, but they're standard AA/CR2032 batteries so I can't see that being an issue. NFI why that would vary state to state.

Just checked my bank and they finally charged me. $842. Yeah, fuck those farmers :)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Ok, cheers DM. Not that I really need it, I have a whole heap of other shit I need to be doing but I have this week off so I was hoping that it would turn up.

Enjoy, keen to know any suggestions etc when you get yours right. Is there a software package for this? Can you setup different profiles for games or do you use the nvidia control panel?

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

There's a couple gig download for the base software, which includes their VR equivalent of steam called Home.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/

All downloads/games go in the same folder, so make sure you install somewhere with plenty of space. You can't setup different libraries to install games to like in steam.

Make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers as they contained some optimisations for VR. No need to set up profiles. Games have to have support built in and when they do it should just work automatically.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Okay, cheers.

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Just got processing email and my card has been charged!!

Fingers crossed it's smooth sailing from here.

As someone who is prone to motion sickness, I'm excited and terrified.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

More Aus orders are going through now. The customs issue has been sorted and it looks like a bunch more units got shipped this morning.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Yea I got my email, should arrive this week

;)

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

HOLY CRAP!!

Amazing! Got to go to bed, but motion sickness doesn't seem to be a big issue for me. So relieved.