Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by r8response »

A new GPU. So it's practically the cost of a new PC.

I can easily hold off and in 12 or so months, pick up a cheap 2nd hand one after the initial fad wears off
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I got to play with DK2 on the weekend, on my system with a 980TI driving it. I will put my thoughts down later. I can see why people like it, it is just to weird for my old brain to cope with.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Did you get motion sickness? I know some people who have experienced that on their first use and they normally don't suffer from it.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Dr. Pain wrote:Did you get motion sickness? I know some people who have experienced that on their first use and they normally don't suffer from it.
No, not really.

But instead of Rift, I got 2 more 24s for $160. :)

Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Palmer doing Q & A, reddit style:

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Nice :yes:
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Last edited by c.j on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Interestingly my new laptop didn't pass their test.
grab2.jpg
but 3d mark put it well above specification.
grab1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I wouldn't stress too much. It will just mean you might need to dial back a few settings to make sure you hit 90fps consistently.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980 ... ce-GTX-970

That's the main thing the specs are there for. I think lots of people with slightly under spec machines will be able to get it to run OK, but the reason the specs are as high as they are is so that you're getting high frame rates. If things start to get below 90, that's what will bring on the sick feeling. Whilst mine meets the specs, I have no doubt that in games like AC and CARS, I'll have to dial things back.

Time will tell with iRacing.This is the monitor I use these days http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=210-AEBS , which is a higher resolution than the rift and I can get iRacing running well over 90fps.

I reckon a good test for you c.j would be to try and get your framerate up around 90fps on your 4K TV running at 4K resolution. If you can tweak the settings to get it that high, you should be fine with the rift.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

mine failed the graphics card, processor and usb test. 3 USB 3 ports ffs, i don't even have 1.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Whoa, well I'm out until the price comes down - I also failed for the graphics card which was expected but I didn't expect the unit to be so expensive.

Pre-orders are now pushed out till June.
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I got up at 1:30am, took me about 30 minutes to finally decide to go ahead and pre-order, same price shock everyone was going through I guess so I've ended up with an April order. In the end I figured get my place in line and I can cancel at any time between now and then, I'm sure the queue will move forward as others cancel.

They didn't seem learn anything from the DK2 release, well not as far as pricing and ordering for aussies. I remember from that time that they are registered for GST in Australia so I'm expecting that the extra USD 50 we're being charged is meant to be GST but not sure if they realise shipping should also include GST or maybe that's one reason for such high shipping (although it could still only be about $12). I think they try to do the right thing but seem to either make the wrong choice at every turn or their hands are tied with certain things for whatever reason.

This is from my DK2 order by the way:

Code: Select all

Items:
    Development Kit 2 ($350.00) x 1 = $350.00 

Shipping: $75.00 USD
Tax: $35.00 USD
Order Total: $460.00 USD
So I think it's much the same this time but the price means we'll likely get hit with customs duty as well which I believe is 5%, so at current exchange rates and if I'm working it out right it could be between $1,150 and $1,300 depending on whether the $49 is GST or not.

I think I'm getting used to the price, not that I'm made of money but luckily I can afford it but I did have a figure in my head of about $1,200 for Rift + GPU which has well and truly been blown out of the water now :) It's a shame that so many are going to miss out now but I think in time it will all come, just glad I'm one of the lucky ones who can jump in early.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Nail Head. I love GM's honesty...

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Mine failed on GPU too.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Righteous wrote:I wouldn't stress too much. I reckon a good test for you c.j would be to try and get your framerate up around 90fps on your 4K TV running at 4K resolution. If you can tweak the settings to get it that high, you should be fine with the rift.
I don't think this rig is powerful enough for that at 90 frames. I'll be tweaking it over the next week or so, I just want to be 100% accurate with what i can adjust. With GTX980m 8gb SLI and a bit of playing around I think I can get it close.

Again though, testing in 3dmark FireStrike in 4k, I am just a bit shy of double the recommended score for the Oculus. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7104870

;)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

c.j wrote:Interestingly my new laptop didn't pass their test.

Does it have an optimus chipset though? If so then that's why it'll be listing as incompatible.

It seems Oculus can't get direct mode working properly with optimus chipsets because the HDMI port is hard wired to the intel gpu. as far as i know the rift doesn't work at all on optimus based laptops with recent oculus runtime versions.

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Should run an external gpu then should be fine

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

DarrenM wrote:

Does it have an optimus chipset though? If so then that's why it'll be listing as incompatible.

It seems Oculus can't get direct mode working properly with optimus chipsets because the HDMI port is hard wired to the intel gpu. as far as i know the rift doesn't work at all on optimus based laptops with recent oculus runtime versions.

That'll be interesting to go through and see. I can switch the integrated intel graphics chipset off, I wonder if that is a workaround? Thanks for the info, I have a lot of reading to catch up on

;)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Damn, the pricing rules me out for the time being, but I'm happy to take a wait and see approach with VR, it seems like the next big thing and economies of scale will see prices tumble over the next couple of years.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I've found it interesting reading all the comments about machines that will be able to run the rift down the line and people waiting for them to be cheaper, but I don't see how the cost of the PC will change. The best hope is for the rift to drop a couple of hundred bucks.

Game developers will keep upping the graphics, you'll always need faster cards to run the latest games. In 2 years the current required GPU's will probably be fraction of their current price, but I bet they won't get close to being able to run any of the latest games on high settings. The goal posts are constantly moving.

The rift will likely get cheaper, a rig to run the latest games won't. If anything a console is a better bet for this stuff to really take off. They know the hardware and they can optimize software for it.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

DarrenM wrote:

According to people more knowledgeable than me on this laptop, Optimus isn't used. Graphics cards switch with a reboot on both the GT72 I have for sale and the GT80 I am now using. :yes:

;)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Righteous wrote:I've found it interesting reading all the comments about machines that will be able to run the rift down the line and people waiting for them to be cheaper, but I don't see how the cost of the PC will change. The best hope is for the rift to drop a couple of hundred bucks.

Game developers will keep upping the graphics, you'll always need faster cards to run the latest games. In 2 years the current required GPU's will probably be fraction of their current price, but I bet they won't get close to being able to run any of the latest games on high settings. The goal posts are constantly moving.

The rift will likely get cheaper, a rig to run the latest games won't. If anything a console is a better bet for this stuff to really take off. They know the hardware and they can optimise software for it.
I understand the goal posts are always moving Righty, I'm not saying the Rift is expensive, I was never one of the people that thought Rift would be sold at the $350US price point they were originally touting & where it's priced is no surprise to me.

I'm just saying that I'm not ready to take the plunge given the total price for me to get into VR at this time, as it stands, Rift + GPU is the price of entry, and to me that's the biggest problem, I don't do sim racing any more, and the only game I play regularly that rift would be great for Rift is Elite, and while Elite is a great platform for VR, the game itself is not that great so there is the lack of worthy games that comes into the equation too, there just isn't the content there at the moment to go with the investment in my opinion. :)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Totally get what you're saying, it's more the general hub bub I've been reading around the place. Somehow people think that it's the rifts fault that they need a more powerful machine, but in reality, the only way the minimum specs could be any lower was if the games are somehow less demanding on the system.

I have very little interest in anything other than racing sims and probably Elite with the rift, in all likely hood, I'll start hurling with any other game.

Time will tell, but if it's enjoyable for sim racing, it will be worth it for me.

I'm still waiting to hear old man Norb's opinion after he tried out the DK2.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Righteous wrote: I'm still waiting to hear old man Norb's opinion after he tried out the DK2.
It is coming, i am still trying to put in to words the way it made me feel