V8 Supercars 2013

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: V8 Supercars 2013

Post by KNAPPO »

Scottie wrote:Watching race 2 at surfers, saw a massive crash for the aussie racing cars at the back chicane! Any news on what happened?
This just popped up in my YouTube recommend list.
[youtube] [/youtube]

5:25 the replays begin for a heavy aussie racing car shunt on one of the front chicanes. Is this the incident you are referring to Scottie?
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Better welds are part of it.. the drivers pushing for the lap time is another.

That end of the corner is always going to get people, tyres are better then wall.. but some times it is the tyres that grab the car also.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

VTRacing wrote:Bollards don't work.

Tyre bundles don't work.

Sensors don't work.

Frankly the massive kerbs only "work" because they break the cars, but some are luckier than others.

If you remove the chicanes, where do you route the track to avoid huge straights into hairpins?
Sensors seem to work at Adelaide. A drive through penalty is enough of an incentive to stop most drivers short cutting the first chicane too often. It hurts their race without completely destroying it.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

They've tried sensors at Surfers, but got so many false positives & missed positives (double negatives...? :P ) that they ended up switching it off at the end of one of the races that year, and people were just ignoring the chicanes altogether.
:teach:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

http://www.clipsal500.com.au/the_race/new_race_format" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cant say im a fan of this new race format.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Why not just keep the 250km race and have it finish at 7:30pm
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Worth a try - I guess this allows them to split the races around the news since this whole thing is for TV? The times match up for the main TV audiences in Sydney and Melbourne.
Worse comes to worse, they can change it back for 2015.
Saturday concert is never a huge hit anyway so crimping in on that is not a major loss. The Friday and Sunday concerts are always the big ones.
XLV SPORT
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Lowesy and Wincup down at Bass Caltex, Fuel for 88.8 cents anything you wanted. -gas at 68cents.

Cheap fuel for 30mins and signing stuff for another 30min.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

No action over the Winterbottom/Lowndes incident, Red Bull aren't happy and have lodged a protest.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

wild wrote:No action over the Winterbottom/Lowndes incident, Red Bull aren't happy and have lodged a protest.
Sounds about right. Roland had to be the biggest sook in the V8 paddock.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Did you not hear the sook mark winterbottom had on air?

I can't stand him at all. Bumps and runs the corner before, then He ran his normal line into the final corner not a care for the other car and thinks he's the victim. Please.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Both of them are giant sooks. The real issue is the huge amount of blown tyres. It's motogp all over again but without cutting the race laps down. The new surface must be really abrasive.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Courtneys door

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

OMG!!! COTF probably helped as JC said in the post race interview. But also very lucky too.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

the slo-mo replay of that crash was stunning.

Very lucky
--------------
Stu
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Jeebus! I can't remember are taxi's left hand drive like real race cars?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Right hand drive, like real taxi's.

That was a massive hit. Sheesh.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Jamo wrote:Jeebus! I can't remember are taxi's left hand drive like real race cars?

Open wheelers are left hand drive?
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Am I the only one who thinks the cage SHOULDN'T of deformed that much?

Also, that 'Brilliant' pass to the line by the 888 car was under yellows!
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

GT VIRUS wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the cage SHOULDN'T of deformed that much?

i guess everything has a breaking point. It'd be interesting to see what sort of forces Courtneys car took.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor ... 6767033402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A GROUP of V8 Supercars team owners are hatching a secret plan to buy back their sport from the private investment group that has a controlling 65 per cent stake in the sport.

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/2420155713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube] [/youtube]

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

GT VIRUS wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the cage SHOULDN'T of deformed that much?

Also, that 'Brilliant' pass to the line by the 888 car was under yellows!
The GRM car launched and hit Courtney's car basically right in the window. It's designed to protect against much lower hits, so the fact Courtney walked away is impressive!
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Courtney is a very lucky lad.

Rod I think you know what I meant lol
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I watched the final race and the amount of ad's for the first part of it were fucked. 4 mins racing, 2 min ads, 4 mins racing, 2 mins ads. I couldn't watch it online as I wasn't at home and what made it worse was we missed 4 wickets in the test while watching a boring end to an ad filled race.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Montey

Post by Montey »

There was a 'feature' during today's broadcast where they showed the level of protection preventing intrusion in to the driver space from a side impact.

Whilst it was all fairly impressive, I did think there was a small (but possibly important) design flaw.

They were showing the chromoly tubing construction beside the driver and showing how it was braced. They also showed how the driver's seat was located more centrally, stealing space from the centre line of the car, to prevent the driver from being hard up against the door in the event of a side impact. The point of this was to show how the new design prevented the driver from being impacted by the accident.

One of the things I noticed, and that the commentator glossed over quickly, was how the roll-cage tubing had deformed and broken as it had been pushed in towards the driver. Once that frame breaks it provides almost no further protection for the driver and also compromises the integrity of the frame along the line of the car.

What I would like to know is, given there is that gap between the car door, the chromeoly tubing, and the drivers seat, why don't they have a short piece of brace tubing running perpendicular to the drivers seated position from the floor of the car up to the side impact roll-cage to prevent the cage from deforming the way it did? Putting a small triangle of tubing between the floor and the wall tubing would prevent it collapsing like it did in the event of such a side impact.

(I hope that made sense, its hard to describe a 3d configuration in words).
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!