V8 Supercars 2013

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

wild
Master artist
Master artist

Re: V8 Supercars 2013

Post by wild »

Exar Kun wrote:Ahh, if that's the STCC car then unlikely it'll look that good. They're based on the Megane Trophy cars I think which are mid-engined V6s with a space frame chassis. So the bonnet line will be considerably higher - especially since they have to fit a narrow (60°) angle V8 under there.
The COTF chassis is a little bit bigger too, but apart from the low nose it should look quite similar. There's a good article here from Garry Rogers on the technical aspects of the Volvo car, and how much help they're getting from Volvo and Polestar in Sweden.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/volv ... ver-rogers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: some more good info here on Speedcafe:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/06/18/pol ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting to me is the fact that the engine was originally designed and built for Volvo by Yamaha, and even though Volvo don't have any road-going cars with this engine anymore, they are still used in some Noble sports cars!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The dev series is going well. Just a bunch of idiots hitting everything and a never been like Paul Morris running around. WTF?!
Minister for Religious Genocide.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Haha yeah, its just a smash up derby.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Steve
---
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

This was posted in iracing. its a sad read but gives an insight. from what I gather Courtney was fucking lucky to get his championship.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/nati ... 6682480052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

lets put an AU Falcon on the cover, should sell shitloads Dick :up:

Couldnt come up with a more inspiring car?
--------------
Stu
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Have to say great Drive by chaz Mosert to win, very disappointed in him running straight to the FPR guys. I know he is a FPR driver on loan to DJR but he is still driving for DJR. Didn't see him go up to any of the DJR team on the telecast.
Last edited by NeilPearson on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's funny that F1 has tyre drama's and it's the end of the world!, and today quite a few left fronts blow in V8's and it's nothing. When they turn from a flat tyre to a shredder they sure do some damage to these new cars.

Paul Morris needs another belting for how he's going about in the dev series. Where's Tony Longhurst when you need him?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I was happy to see Mercedes up the pointy end, only to be let down by Slade making a mistake. Awesome job for getting it up there though in the first place!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

HRT poached Adrian Burgess from the team that poached him from DJR, and Roland is none too impressed about it being done to him. http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/08/07/dan ... gess-role/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Wow dane is really snippy isnt he.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

It's always been the way tho... When was the last time HRT won a championship instead of running #1 on their cars....
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Not a very nice day in Benalla for V8's. 11C at midday, it's grey, wet and the wind cuts right through you. I'd hate to be camping at Winton as it would be a mud pit. I was hoping to go on Sunday but I can't afford it so next year hopefully. It's like $90 for Sunday general admin.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Dr. Pain wrote: It's like $90 for Sunday general admin.
Wowzers! How the hell do you take a family?

You should have hit Sambo up for a free ticket dude! :D
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'm not too worried about missing out. Not sure how my stupid foot would stand up to it anyway. But next year I'll be there. :) They were charging a grand for food vendors to set up shop at the track but no one took it so now they're letting them in for free. Days like today you really need a coffee there but if there's nothing close by it's pain to walk for it. You have to be there all day to make that $90 worth it and you do get racing from 9 to 5. The best race I've seen there was in 2006 or something when the last race of the weekend was historic touring cars and the sun was going down. The brakes were really glowing into turn 3 and it stood out like dogs balls. Sparks from the under side out of turn 4.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Different fuel to everyone else = first win.....

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

NeilPearson wrote:Different fuel to everyone else = first win.....

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4
Wobbles??
--------------
Stu
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Hum, having a chat about Volvo coming to V8s, any one want to have a guess at where they are going to come in on the first few test? being there rebuilding the 4.4L V8 to 5L.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

they have been allowed to run with less ethanol in the mix(70% compared to 85%) so it apparently helps consumption but not performance. But at the moment it's only the 2 Norton Nissans and Engels AMG, which both finished ahead of their team mates. Maybe the extra pace is coming from being able to run weight due to less fuel, but it certainly seems to have helped them. Personally i'd like to see them all run to the same rules but i guess they adjust the aero to even them up so this could be considered the same thing.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

if they cant develop their engine then they shouldn't get special provisions.

the cars should have the same aero, that creates parity, this just creates different fuels for one and different fuels for others. its shit.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

apparently it's something to do with them being 4 valve engines.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

well maybe v8supercars should have forced Holden/ford to use new engines. develop some new stuff, that way everyone is playing the same race.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

w00dsy wrote:apparently it's something to do with them being 4 valve engines.
That is exactly the problem. The new teams are using multi-cam engines, which by nature use more fuel. A benefit of the multi-cam engines is they rev (if they didn't have the 7500rpm limiter) higher.

What we also need to remember, is that the current push rod engines have been developed to within an inch of it's life over the past 20 years. So matching them together was never really going to work. Completely agree with Neil, they went to the trouble of re-engineering the entire category but left the old engines which are completely outdated technology. Not to mention still not using an LSD
Last edited by r8response on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Yep, say NA, with up to 5.0L V8, 1 set Fuel level in a tank and let them go nuts.

This is about competition, If you wanted Parity 1 make races sound good.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I think they left the engines and spooled rear ends to save costs but the cars would be able to handle the upgrades in time.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Dr. Pain wrote:I think they left the engines and spooled rear ends to save costs but the cars would be able to handle the upgrades in time.

Engines I can understand, but they no longer use the old style diff. It's now a transaxle setup, gearbox and diff all in one. Albins themselves have said there is an LSD version of the current transaxle.