Ice Cream Sandwich / Nexus Prime

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Ice Cream Sandwich / Nexus Prime

Post by nutty »

The launch is on now
http://www.youtube.com/android" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some details in the reddit thread
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doso

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich / Nexus Prime

Post by Doso »

Some awesome new native features in Android 4.0 like data usage and the ability to put hard limits on data usage, graph & data used per app over a period of time!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Looks like google just announced my new phone, yes I only just got the sgs2 but the missus wants an sgs2 herself so I reckon I will buy the nexus outright and give her this phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Face recognition to unlock looks pretty cool.

Wonder how sensitive it is tho, if you grew a Movember, shaved off a goatee or were not wearing your glasses I wonder if you could lock yourself out of your own phone...
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

SHoNKY wrote:Looks like google just announced my new phone
:nod: :nod: :nod:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Yes the Desire is looking old.. up for renewal after Xmas..

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

What GPU did the Prime get?
Doso

Re: Re: Ice Cream Sandwich / Nexus Prime

Post by Doso »

KNAPPO wrote:Face recognition to unlock looks pretty cool.

Wonder how sensitive it is tho, if you grew a Movember, shaved off a goatee or were not wearing your glasses I wonder if you could lock yourself out of your own phone...
If it can't detect you by your face then you can unlock the phone with either the standard pin or pattern like current generation Android phones.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

wabbit wrote:What GPU did the Prime get?
Dual 1.2GHZ, 1GB RAM

http://www.google.com/nexus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

GPU matey not CPU and RAM :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

wabbit wrote:GPU matey not CPU and RAM :)
Ahh woops .. thought you meant CPU..

here we go..
It is because of the OMAP4460 processor that the Galaxy Nexus will only have the PowerVR SGX540 GPU, an antiquated beast from 2007 that can actually be found underneath the hood of last year’s Nexus S, and in the Droid Bionic.
eek
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

No one knows yet.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Ok thanks guys, bit of a shame really.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

pixelboy wrote:
Ahh woops .. thought you meant CPU..

here we go..
It is because of the OMAP4460 processor that the Galaxy Nexus will only have the PowerVR SGX540 GPU, an antiquated beast from 2007 that can actually be found underneath the hood of last year’s Nexus S, and in the Droid Bionic.
Ahh crap, I'll have to weigh up the cpu/gpu combo, I don't game on my phone but PowerVR graphics are a bit of a disappointment, but not a deal breaker, will have to wait and see some reviews and benchmarks I think, who knows, maybe Samsung will announce the SGS3 next week running a 1.5Ghz Exynos quad core. :D
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

SHoNKY wrote:Ahh crap, I'll have to weigh up the cpu/gpu combo, I don't game on my phone but PowerVR graphics are a bit of a disappointment
I don't think PowerVR is bad. Its just hard to compete with an older GPU vs newer gen devices with dual GPUs on board.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I was quite happy to see out my desire contract for another 10 months but suddenly I feel the strong urge to upgrade hehe :D
We'll see though, a few of the aosp roms for the desire might bring out ics but it sounds like the hardware acceleration might be the stumbling block.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Slightly amateurish presentation but it's here if you want it. Especially the very awkward bit where two guys stand there being photographed with the new phone.

I noticed a couple of things nabbed from iOS but hey no one ever moans or pokes fun when it's the other way round :)

[youtube] [/youtube]
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Montey

Post by Montey »

I watched that video last night. The first 2/3rds are boring as hell, but the last bit is quite interesting showing the Android functionality.

I thought this review was particularly interesting: http://digitalcamsreviews.com/2011/10/1 ... iphone-4s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their comment about the iPhone being under-clocked and it having a better GPU resulting in likely better battery life has certainly shoved me back towards the iPhone 4s again.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm not sure the GPU will really make any difference outside of games, the big new thing though with ICS is the GPU hardware acceleration of the UI so iOS won't have the advantage in terms of the smoothness/fluidity of the UI any longer.
For battery life you need to see some reviews to really have any idea, the battery in the Nexus is significantly bigger which could make all the difference and the efficiency of the cpu, not just the clock comes into it as well.
I was a little surprised to see it have an OMAP chip, they seemed to be the weakest dual core when I read a comparo 2-3 months back but this could be a new model.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Sarsippius wrote: I was a little surprised to see it have an OMAP chip, they seemed to be the weakest dual core when I read a comparo 2-3 months back but this could be a new model.
I do remember reading an article a few months back regarding the cpu/gpu combo and that Google didn't want to be tied to one manufacturer for the Nexus, maybe this is the reason for using the OMAP chipset as all the manufacturers are familiar with it, but then they go and use an Amoled screen which ties them to Samsung anyway at least for the display.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I guess most guys interested in Android would know by now that the ICS source was released last week. There's already early builds for lots of devices showing up, bit surprised how quick some of the devs are but it seems there's a lot of anticipation for ICS and for good reason too.
Won't be too long and I'll be rockin a sweet AOSP ICS rom on the ol' Desire :nod: :D
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Same Sars, as soon as I see an AOSP ICS rom for the SGS2 I'll be all over it.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

post one here when they pop up. My battery drainer will be loaded with it!! :D
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Put a build on my yesterday, heaps impressed with the battery life, but after going from MIUI it feels like its just missing some things.. but a step in the right direction for a stock rom
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1357407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I've convinced work we need an ICS phone to test our apps on so i've now got a SGN on order from MobiCity.. :nod:

:yummy: :yes:

Ill post updates next week.
eek
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Nice one Pix :yes: I've thought about one when my contract is up but I like the size of my Desire, all the good new phones seem to be too big :shrug:

On the ICS front I've been running the alpha, well now beta for the desire. It's missing a few things like camera but I think I'll stick with it. Definitely a nice upgrade over gingerbread but I guess at the end of the day it's still android, not a major revolution like you might expect.