Simple phones?

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Simple phones?

Post by Big Kev »

I've just been having an idle look at mobile phones. I've had a mobile for about 15 years and I'm only on my 3rd or 4th one.

I like simple. But you can't get that any more on phones. Why not?

Why doesn't anyone just make A PHONE!

I have no need for email, internets, facebook, YouTube, watching tv or videos, a camera, video recording, music, a radio or any of the other cack they add.

I want a phone and texting. That's it. Why isn't there a market for that?

I had a look at a couple of reviews on YouTube and at no point did either of them mention what it's like as a phone!
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Simple phones?

Post by ysu »

yup, I know what you feel, I need my phone to be a phone, not a gadget - hence I'm using this nokia 6021 for a good while now.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

My Nokia 1100 was my last simple phone and I only upgraded (at the time) because it didn't support my new sim or network. I still think it was a bloody great phone (basically an evolution of the 3315).

But now I have an Android based phone, I don't think I could ever go back. I use it as an MP3 player, a navigation system, receiving & sending email, checking websites on the run, alarm, calendar, clock, downloading files (thanks to the removable SD card), contact details (thanks to the sync anywhere nature of the gmail contacts), news, weather, etc...

The great thing about an Android setup is that you don't ever need to plug it into a PC to sync anything. As long as I'm in a data enabled area (e.g. home on WiFi or somewhere else on 3G/WiFi) everything I currently use automatically syncs for me. As an example, when I add a calendar entry on my desktop PC (using Thunderbird & the lightning add-on), within a few seconds I have it available on my phone. Then if I've added a location for this entry (e.g. the text 'Rundle Mall, Adelaide') all I have to do is click on that it it will open up the navigation app and direct me how to get there.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I like that when I went clicked on view unread posts, the top threads that came up were:

"Whatever happened to..."
"Simple phones?"

Sums it up really :D
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I am using a Nokia 6300, it was around $600-700 when the first iPhone came out, but picked it up for $50 but less then a year later. great simple phone normally charge it about once a week .
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I've got a nokia 6230i. It's solid and robust. I can drop it and not worry that the precious screen is going to scratch or crack. But I'd like a slightly bigger screen for texting and slightly bigger letters on the keys (yeah I'm getting old and my eyesight is going :) ). These touch screen ones are too big in my opinion.
My Flickr Stream
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

AstrO wrote:My Nokia 1100 was my last simple phone and I only upgraded (at the time) because it didn't support my new sim or network. I still think it was a bloody great phone (basically an evolution of the 3315).

But now I have an Android based phone, I don't think I could ever go back. I use it as an MP3 player, a navigation system, receiving & sending email, checking websites on the run, alarm, calendar, clock, downloading files (thanks to the removable SD card), contact details (thanks to the sync anywhere nature of the gmail contacts), news, weather, etc...

The great thing about an Android setup is that you don't ever need to plug it into a PC to sync anything. As long as I'm in a data enabled area (e.g. home on WiFi or somewhere else on 3G/WiFi) everything I currently use automatically syncs for me. As an example, when I add a calendar entry on my desktop PC (using Thunderbird & the lightning add-on), within a few seconds I have it available on my phone. Then if I've added a location for this entry (e.g. the text 'Rundle Mall, Adelaide') all I have to do is click on that it it will open up the navigation app and direct me how to get there.
This.

My phone is a HD2 that's now running android and winmo, but android fulltime now. Due to being away from home often, my phone is my connection 'outside'. I also used to be about simple phones until I bit the bullet and bought a jasjam, never been back from darkside since. There's so many options though, let's be honest, I'm dual booting a phone! Take the plunge and get connected in my opinion, android or iphone, winmo is for nerds l.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

you guys don't get it that some (most) people simply don't need it? Lots want it, because it's 'cool' but let's be honest, 90% of the people don't even need a mobile phone, they only talk their life away. You only need to listen in on a few conversations to realise it. :lol:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

classic and simple

Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

*waves hand* These aren't the andriods your looking for Kev. Get an iPhone. :D Dooo it!
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

No chance. They're £600 on PAYG which is crazy for a ton of 'features' I'd never use.
My Flickr Stream
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

I've got one of these.....

....going spare if you want Neo :D
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

They would so go for a mint on Ebay. I am only saying that because I rekon I would pay more for that phone than I would a smart phone :D.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

http://www.retrobrick.com/moto8000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.