Dedicated racing cockpits

iRacing
flagger

Dedicated racing cockpits

Post by flagger »

So I've been thinking about getting a dedicated sim cockpit lately. I would need a chassis and a new monitor. Monitor is easy, I would probably get myself a 24" IPS monitor (like the HP2475) and use my current Dell 2407hc for iracing and just have a dual monitor setup on my current rig until I upgrade later this year when the DX11 cards cvome out in Q3.

So I've been looking at cockpits. Of course theres the hyperstimulator stuff. I also saw the obutto ozone cockpit. I emailed the aus/nz disty about the obutto and got this reply:
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your interest in the Obutto oZone gaming cockpit.

I can supply you with the complete Obutto oZone gaming cockpit for AUD$450.
Unfortunately however the freight to Queensland is expensive. To air
freight it directly to your door is a further AUD$450 and normally takes
between 2 and 5 days

If you would like to go ahead, please let me know and we can get things
underway.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to get in touch

Kind regards
Brendon
The hyperstimulator has the open wheel feel to it, while the obutto has that more sedan/tin top setup to it and a reclinable seat. That freight price is just insane though.

What do you guys think?
Bauer

Re: Dedicated racing cockpits

Post by Bauer »

I think that if you were in Tassie, Id say come and get my Hyper shell. I havent used it in 3 years.

Though if I had the room and the dedicated PC for it, I think they are great. I could be comfy in a Hyper for hours.
--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i made myself a race frame for about $100.... if you have a few mates who can get you some cheap materials it helps. welded mine together out of aluminium, and put it on casters. It even had a stubbie holder... but it was plastic and eventually broke. I just used an old recaro bucket seat... payed $50 for that.. works perfectly. powdercoated the whole thing black.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Might take some searching to find them, but I'm sure there are plenty more local manufacturers around than just Hyperstim. Robbo used to make some, but I don't think he sells them anymore.

There are also plenty of plans floating around if you wanted to build one cheaply out of MDF/tube/pvc pipe and a car seat from a wreckers.
flagger

Post by flagger »

Heh bauer, i grew up in tassy :p

I would build my own, but I have no tools at the present time. So by the time I shell out on power tools and materials, I think it would nearly be the same cost as a pre-fab kit. However it is a good excuse to get said tools :)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

One of these things could be alright
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10063&start=0
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

flagger wrote:Heh bauer, i grew up in tassy :p

I would build my own, but I have no tools at the present time. So by the time I shell out on power tools and materials, I think it would nearly be the same cost as a pre-fab kit. However it is a good excuse to get said tools :)

no mates with tools etc?? i had a ball making mine... felt more rewarding at the end of it. but hey, the hyperstim cockpits are pretty cool.
flagger

Post by flagger »

So theres a cockpit thread in the iRacing forum too, so just in case you guys don't read it, this came up as well:

GamersCockpit chassis + race seat (sports recliner type-black) $999. Note Logitech sound system included free with this valued at $159. More seat types available but at extra cost.
Optional shelving kit for screen (up to 26”) and console $119
Logitech driving force GT wheel and pedals $199 (suit PS2/3+PC)
Logitech G25 racing wheel/pedals/shifter $399 (suit PS2/3+PC)
G25 shifter mounting bracket $59.95
Genuine Porsche 911 Turbo wheel/pedals/shifter $399
911 shifter mounting bracket $59.95
Optional seat rail kit for easier seat adjustment V std method $75.95
Keyboard support brackets $49.95
Seat mounted mouse pad $49.95
Freight via TNT from $69

so basically what I would have to get is the chassis, monitor shelf, keyboard brackets, and mouse pad mount which would cost $1218 before freight.

or theres this: http://www.hyperdrive.com.au/productdet ... x?prodid=4 for $199 at harvey norman....lol
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

We're doing some work with Cyberkart at the moment. I have one setup with the A1 Gear and I really like it. Look here .. http://www.a1racinggear.com.au/gallery/index.html and here .. http://www.cyberkart.com.au

They are doing some cool re-designs also.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

flagger wrote: which would cost $1218 before freight.
jesus fucking christ mate... hope you make 100k + a year... thats a crap load to spend for playing some games. i wager you would be no more comfortable in that than my custom built frame. If you dont wanna make it yourself, go with whatever robbo can offer. his shit is da bomb :yes: always happy to plug your stuff robbo.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

well robbo's set up ain't a great deal cheaper Dex. $1200 aint too much in my mind if its something you're passionate about, you pay more for lenses. having said that, i wanna make my own..lol
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I made my own, was very much worth it :) might need to make a few changes soon though, made a couple of errors with the driving position (need the pedals further back than i have them)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

DexterPunk wrote:
jesus fucking christ mate... hope you make 100k + a year... thats a crap load to spend for playing some games.
*cough* 5d mkII *cough*

it is all relative mate :up: I sure hope flagger wont need to get finance to support his chosen hobby ;P
--------------
Stu
flagger

Post by flagger »

It's all window shopping at the moment anyway. My current setup is adequate enough for racing, but I do have to attach my wheel every time I go to drive.

Dexter, the cyberkart costs $1375 before freight which would make it more expensive than the GamersCockpit with the options I had picked out? And the cyberkart doesn't seem to have a keyboard and mouse shelf and a monitor shelf?

Also bought Leo Bodners 10 but USB pedal controller for my g25 last night.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Bauer wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:
jesus fucking christ mate... hope you make 100k + a year... thats a crap load to spend for playing some games.
*cough* 5d mkII *cough*

it is all relative mate :up: I sure hope flagger wont need to get finance to support his chosen hobby ;P
thats a fair bit different. my gear will eventually pay for itself. Its not a toy.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DexterPunk wrote:
thats a fair bit different. my gear will eventually pay for itself. Its not a toy.
The way iRacing is going, it may well pay for itself in the future. Pretty sure there is plans for prize money and whatnot down the line.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

ahuh...
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

lol, though it still wouldn't even help you to recover your costs for the software..lol. But yeah i paid $699 for my PS3 and have spent another $500 on games, and that is just for "gaming". I bet a lot of others have to.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

actually, there you go, iRacing has just announced that winners of a future series will receive a chance to drive in the VW Jetta series in the US. So a cockpit can now certainly be classed as a tool to help advance a career.
Ap0c

Post by Ap0c »

Hz-Lab wrote:actually, there you go, iRacing has just announced that winners of a future series will receive a chance to drive in the VW Jetta series in the US. So a cockpit can now certainly be classed as a tool to help advance a career.
Claim it on tax :nod:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hz-Lab wrote:actually, there you go, iRacing has just announced that winners of a future series will receive a chance to drive in the VW Jetta series in the US. So a cockpit can now certainly be classed as a tool to help advance a career.

you would have to spend (like i used to) 5 or more hours a day practicing and refining setups. And still no garantee that you will win. Ive spend a crap load on PC stuff so i could play games... but i just dont have time for it anymore, and in a way i realised how worthless it is untill ive got my career on track. Paying a lot for a camera is not the same at all when you intend to make a career out of it.... If i was only interested in photography as a hobby, i wouldnt have bought it.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

so, we've established it's not for you dex. but for those of us with careers "on track", then it's definitely an option. Does anyone know of any plans floating around for something similar to the hyperstim? I wanna have a crack at building one, but everything i have seen is rather lackluster looking by comparison. May even design something myself but I just want to try and get the seating position correct and whatnot. Might be a case for Captain Trialanderror.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

all i was originally pointing out, is that if you can make one yourself instead of spending over a grand it would be well worth it.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

DexterPunk wrote: If i was only interested in photography as a hobby, i wouldnt have bought it.
oh rly :scratch:

are you saying that if money wasnt an issue, a 5D MkII is a waste unless you want a career out of photography? Sorry Emjay, what a waste. pity you are so flippant with the coin (unless you are wanting to turn pro in which case I take it back. Wise career move)

cos lets be honest, would Marc even be considering a cockpit if funds were tight? I dont think so
all i was originally pointing out, is that if you can make one yourself instead of spending over a grand it would be well worth it.
no you werent, you were telling him it is a waste of money cos all he is doing is playing games
jesus fucking christ mate... hope you make 100k + a year... thats a crap load to spend for playing some games
nudd said :D

and lets face it, Im only shit stirring cos you dug the iHole to begin with :lol: I might even make another thread to discuss further :p
--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i reckon if i was a rich mofo id buy 8 x 1Ds mkIII and throw em off a peer infront of a group of photogs just for fun.

Im saying my 30D would have been more than enough for me if it was just for stuffing around. But then its all relative... if you have shit loads of cash do what ever you want... certainly doesn't bother me. I believe i did say "I" wouldnt have bought it... not that i give a fuck if others do.
no you werent, you were telling him it is a waste of money cos all he is doing is playing games
Please dont tell me what i was saying... its pretty damn rude, and you have no right to tell me what my intentions were. If you read back over the thread, i was trying to help with suggestions of other options... and giving my opinion.

To me, thats a hell of a lot of money to play games... Im very proud of the race frame i have made, and had great fun making it.. i thought i would give a few words of encouragement to perhaps give it a crack... and was simply amazed at the price of those hyperstim cockpits. I didnt bring up the camera bullshit. in my opinion i dug no hole, someone grabbed a shovel got digging and pushed me in it.