Looks pretty good to me given OR puts the screen(s) so close to you're eyes. :p
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: PC Gaming Rig Build - Little Help?

Post by KNAPPO »

After exploring the whole triple 2560x1440 route I don't think two GTX 780 @ 3GB will cut it on the higher end games which I will want to play.
Reading around it sounds like 3GB VRAM would be considered a bit low end. Looks like some have gone for dual Radeon 290/290X's for the 4GB, or a Titan or two. Ive read when pushing up the AA and other goodies the GTX 780 3GB's began to struggle. I don't want to blow all my budget building a machine that will run 7680x1440 half arsed...

So. Now im thinking of maximizing performance for a triple set of LG 27EA63V-P 1080p screens.
The monitor looks pretty nice with its bezel behind the screen face, I reckon it would look beautiful in a triple setup. Seems to get some pretty decent reviews, price is excellent, the back of it will fit my monitor stand without issues and it only weighs 4.6kg (with stand). Thats half of what i would have been looking at with the ASUS PB278Q, with the r3volutions average triple stand i want to keep monitor weight down as much as possible.

What GPU would you guys recommend to power 3 of these suckers?
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I don't think the GPU's change. 780ti is quickest without going to titan black. I never really considered a 4gig card, I know EVGA did some 4 gig models for the 680's. Maybe they do the same for 780's? Regardless, I think the "step down" to 1080p screens is wise.

Edit*

There's 3 options I guess.

Dual Titans $3000ish
Dual 4gig 770's $1000ish
2 AMD 290x's 1500ish (baiscally as quick as titans but maybe risky with driver issues. Maybe.

I thought traditionally the AMD/ATI cards were better in a multi monitor setup though?
Last edited by Righteous on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Whats the min advantage of the ti over the standard 780's?

The 780ti's are pretty pricey and pushes my budget a bit far. Im thinking of getting dual EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked ACX 3GB's
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Surprised you're going for 5ms gtg displays... & I assume they are standard 60hz too?

I Iove my 24' 120hz display but iirc you can't run above 60hz on a triple setup, right?
Dukester

Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

KNAPPO wrote:Whats the min advantage of the ti over the standard 780's?

The 780ti's are pretty pricey and pushes my budget a bit far. Im thinking of getting dual EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked ACX 3GB's
Just better performance. Not anything crazy. Bust basically it went, Nvidia released Titan, claimed it was fastest single GPU on the planet, which it was.

They then releassed 78o's that were very close in performance, but much cheeper.

I think then the 290's came out and stole the crown of fastest GPU?

Nvidia then decided they had to have the fastest card so released the 780ti which is actually faster than the original titan for games, I have a Titan in my work machine, extra RAM is awesome for what I do.

Then maybe 290x came out?

Then Nvidia released Titan "Black" which is faster then them all, but the price is pretty nuts.

I was actually pissed at how quickly the original titans vanished off the market as I was going to get a second one day. But I'll have to find one on ebay or something to do it now.

So you're not loosing a great deal of performance going with a 780, I think with tri 1080p screens, they'll be a good choice. Although the 290x's would perform better in most games I would think. They just have that stigma.

For what it's worth, Adobe have "certified" a lot of ATI cards now for things like Premiere and Photoshop. Although, I don't know if they cards perform as well as Nvidia.

It's just splitting hairs really. All these cards will probably fall within 5-10 fps of each other in real life situations.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Flinty72 wrote:Surprised you're going for 5ms gtg displays... & I assume they are standard 60hz too?
I Iove my 24' 120hz display but iirc you can't run above 60hz on a triple setup, right?

Dont know. Can anyone using triples answer this one?
Also, are you saying 5ms is to slow?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

AS above, Ti is the upgraded version atm.

2+x, 290x or the 780Ti both have there pros and cons if you want to try Max everything.

3-4GB is fine,or less is just more HDD access's for texture swapping.

7680x1440 = 11.05 Megapixels
3840x2160 = 8.29 Megapixels (4K)
5760x1080 = 6.22 Megapixels

Depending on how you are wanting to purchase, could just go the nice big ASUS PB278Q screen.

As for slow, TN panel G-G for ms scores, not B-W, vs IPS is just plain better looking, big thing to watch for is still input lag.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

KNAPPO wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:Surprised you're going for 5ms gtg displays... & I assume they are standard 60hz too?

Dont know. Can anyone using triples answer this one?
Also, are you saying 5ms is to slow?
Well I've always been under the impression that 5ms will produce a slightly more blurry experience than a 2ms display for fast moving graphics, which race sims are classed as...
Dukester

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Anything for TN panels under 10ms is more then fine, a bigger thing is input lag.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Flinty72 wrote:Well I've always been under the impression that 5ms will produce a slightly more blurry experience than a 2ms display for fast moving graphics, which race sims are classed as...
Firstly; these values are not correct. Pretty much ever. They are a marketing thing more than anything; released as unadulterated bs by the manufacturer. You have to check proper monitor tests where they compare against crts and use high-speed cameras to get the real values. Eg, the Dells I have are quoted at some 12ms IIRC. However, I've seen the proper tests, and depending on the circumstances, the lag can be anywhere between 24-36ms.
Notice; not nearly 12. They basically give you the "optimum" value divided by 2. And dell isn't an exception; more of an industry average in this regard.

Second: you won't notice any difference between a "2ms" and a "5ms" monitor. There's no blurring if the monitor is good.
But just so you know; you're probably buying a 8-15ms monitor in these cases. Altho I've seen 5ms monitors churning over 20ms lag. (I wish I knew what site these test were on...)

Righteous wrote:I thought traditionally the AMD/ATI cards were better in a multi monitor setup though?
Funnily, there was a test where they've measured the frame distribution as well as the frame rate. And while some ATI card setups provided good frame rates, they usually ended up with a more uneven distribution - i.e. bigger "lag spikes" in outputting the frames. nV was smoother. Although this was quite a few months (maybe a year) back, so who knows what's it like now.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
richo

Post by richo »

I only have two lowly HD6950s and it will be the last time I go sli/X fire even with relatively easy going games like TF2 I get graphic jitters and artifacts and this weird onscreen lag . Now I just run one of them and there is bugger all difference tbh .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

As most TN panels are G-G tests(Quoted number), not B-W tests(true number).

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wobblysauce wrote:As most TN panels are G-G tests(Quoted number), not B-W tests(true number).
You wish. It's actually pure BS most of the time. Again; proper tests will show you most are simply lying through their teeth. There's no industry standard and no-one is holding them to their promises.

The problem is when half the industry is willing to lie, and lie big, the rest either follows or can't sell a thing. So they follow.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Well there is a 70ms delay from light entering your eyes and getting processed by your brain.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

wobblysauce wrote:Well there is a 70ms delay from light entering your eyes and getting processed by your brain.
Are you sure? That sounds like an enormous amount of time given nerves work via electrical signals.

Considering an old fart like me is scoring 260ms on here. http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/rea ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that has all the added crap of my brain telling me finger to click the mouse.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Perception vs Reality.

This one says 80ms.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs ... erception/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 80-millisecond rule plays all sorts of perceptual tricks on us. As long as a hand-clapper is less than 30 meters away, you hear and see the clap happen together. But beyond this distance, the sound arrives more than 80 milliseconds later than the light, and the brain no longer matches sight and sound. What is weird is that the transition is abrupt: by taking a single step away from you, the hand-clapper goes from in sync to out of sync. Similarly, as long as a TV or film soundtrack is synchronized within 80 milliseconds, you won’t notice any lag, but if the delay gets any longer, the two abruptly and maddeningly become disjointed. Events that take place faster than 80 milliseconds fly under the radar of consciousness. A batter swings at a ball before being aware that the pitcher has even throw it.

Back to hardware..

What about a upping to 6TB Hdd's and the like? Though it would be cheaper atm still to get less and Raid up.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/07 ... of_terror/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

And yet we can detect the vibration of 60Hz compared to, say, 120Hz on CRT screens. 80ms = 0.080s 60Hz is equivalent of 1/60s = 0.016s = 16ms "frame rate".
Nothing is ever black of white, is it :)

by the way, Norbs, you're good. I was only at around 320 on that test (avg of 5)

On hardware: I've bought a couple of SSHD's at the last update. I don't regret it at all. Maybe not file server material (where one will raid anyway), but it's an excellent fast data drive at 2TB. TBH its probably not bad for a primary drive either if you want to save on SSD costs...
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

This could be right up your alley Knappo, new R9-295x2 card from AMD, basically two 290X's on the one card with a closed loop liquid cooler as default cooling. Seems much less hassle having it all on the one card and with a good cooling solution, also don't have to get a high end mobo as you only need the one slot.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7930/the- ... 5x2-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wondering what the price will be? (as compared to 2x290)

by the way any half-decent mobo has two slots (at least!) for gfx cards nowadays. You simply don't want to buy the low-end crap that my have one only.

Edit: it's actually at the bottom of the page, duh. And this is the problem. Same shit again, buying the single-card solution is more expensive.

Radeon R9 295X2 $1500
GeForce GTX 780 Ti $700
Radeon R9 290X $600

Edit2: farkenell. half a kilowatt power consumption...this will need its own solar panel array to run, LOL!

Hm...it seems they've managed to smooth out the frame-rate fluctuations, and solve the heat issues. This seems like a good card, even if a "bit" expensive. I might just upgrade to this next time around. One last try at an AMD solution, heh.

This card seems to have been put together exactly for high-resolution gaming. It just shines. It's on par with 2x 780Ti in SLI - which puts its price in a different perspective!
Last edited by ysu on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

ysu wrote:wondering what the price will be? (as compared to 2x290)

by the way any half-decent mobo has two slots (at least!) for gfx cards nowadays. You simply don't want to buy the low-end crap that my have one only.

Edit: it's actually at the bottom of the page, duh. And this is the problem. Same shit again, buying the single-card solution is more expensive.

Radeon R9 295X2 $1500
Radeon R9 290X $600

Edit2: farkenell. half a kilowatt power consumption...this will need its own solar panel array to run, LOL!
I've been informed (so it could just be bs) that AMD GPU's are in short supply and in turn running at an inflated price, all because of chumps mining bitcoins.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

AMD announces $1900 dual-core, liquid cooled video card
Like this ?

or for this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1469789/buil ... y-angel/80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

richo

Post by richo »

Does it come with hot and cold running blowjobs?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

That's a pretty rad setup.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thats sexy!

Well my cash is in, gotta lock away my plan of attack this weekend and get ordering. :D

Purchased a buttkicker last weekend which arrived last night. Hooked it up without simvibe and was a little underwhelmed, mainly due to the fact that i know i can tune a lot of the effects that were clipping last night, so ill grab a copy of simvibe tonight and start tinkering.

If i had the volume set for when im on track it'll clip like crazy when im sitting there idling in the pits or when i venture off track thru the grass so im super keen to start to tune the different elements with simvibe.

Pretty dam fun in Farcry 3. Every shot, footstep, explosion ect gives you that additional immersion. I had to kill the in game music due to them building drama at certain aspects would make the kicker go off its nut.