rFactor 2 - Beta Released

ISI's new sim rFactor
Brett_S

Re: rFactor 2 - Beta Released

Post by Brett_S »

Seems to be a bit of a hit and miss - I tried to pay using that Moneybookers thing and it wouldn't accept my card so I went back and paid with PayPal

Got a "Purchase Complete" message from ISI but I can't log into the multiplayer and it will only load the 1960's mod - can't activate the Megane or Formula Renault mods

The FFB and steering options aren't very good, can barely keep the car on the track at Spa

Early days, have to see if it was worth getting or not
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
thornz

Post by thornz »

How long does the refund period last for?
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

Apparently im not alone in my situation, seems that tonnes of people have had problems with this moneybookers crap and alot exactly the same as me...credit card transactions fail multiple times and then without warning you try a 3rd time and get told your credit card is disabled for 24 hrs, and that it hasnt worked etc. But then you press ok and your presented with a screen saying your licence is pending your payment and your given an invoice number.

What im reading about the sim combined with tonights crap of trying to just get the thing installed is not making me feel very positive at all.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Payment problems aside, I hope people have noticed and understood the word "beta" in this release :D
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

A lot of people had issues with payment, mine went through right away on paypal and it was fine, people with G25's and 27's are complaining about violent judders from the wheel when off the road, ive left mine at default and its fine a bit bumpy for sure but i don't feel like my wheel will rattle apart! and alot of people are complain about ATI performance issues...ive got an ATI card and it all seems to be running fine... guess ive just been lucky so far!
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Went off-road once and the G27 felt like it was going to explode
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

FFB is very jolty with the CSW. When it's not doing that it feels quite good. If I get on the edge of the gutters at Monaco I get a weird high frequency rattle and the grass is really bad.

I only gave a couple cars a quick go but it was a bit underwhelming, but it shows good promise with the weather etc. Is it using their new tyre model? I wasn't really feeling the love in that department.

I had forgotten how bad racing AI was. Tried 5 times at monaco and didn't get through T1 on 4 of them. Don't have any interest in doing pick up races either for some reason. I think the Megane being in there is too much of a reminder of how bad those races used to be. SR system FTW :)

Worst thing, the mirror perspective is fucked. I think the (very simple) fix for that was the first mod I installed for rFactor so I was gobsmacked to see it in rF2.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

It's defiantly the same old rfactor! FFB is better, but still feels a bit sterile to drive. Online is the same as rFactor as well, namely a bunch of practice servers with very little racing going on (that I could find anyway). To me, I think it's going to be the offline sim of choice still, but iRacing will remain my online place to race
thornz

Post by thornz »

Liking the FFB so far on the track, huge improvement over Rf1 which always felt numb to me, never really felt connected with the cars.
Do wonder though if ISI have bought shares in all the companies making wheels for sim racing, hit a kerb or go offroad and the wheel feels like its going to shake itself to pieces. Cant seem to find a good way to turn it down either? Can decrease the overall feel, but then you lose too much feel form the on track FFB.

Graphics are a bit glitchy for me, I have an ATI card, so hopefuly can be remedied along the road. They arent bad overall, but still nothing to really get excited for a 2012 game.

Online play is still abit odd in my opinion, the other cars just dont seem to really drive naturally, theres just something always a little bit strange about there appearance on track, cant quite put my finger on it, but compared to the like of LFS and iRacing, it has some work to do.

Only quickly dabbled in the weathe effects and it looks pretty good, quite a challenge when you get a dry line forming and you put a wheel in the wet stuff. Noticed though that on the F3.5 renault, one of the wet tyres is actually put on backwards.

Overall, for a BETA, its definitly on the right track, the simple fact the cars actually feel alive make it instantly 10 times better rfactor in my books which was always the biggest problem for me with the original game.

Still going to ask for a refund, as I really have no interest in testing BETA games, much like CARS, will buy once its fully finished though.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Im still stuck ast the "Starting secure connection with commerce servers." screen in the purchase tab of the menu.............
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Use paypal if you get there. Lots of problems being posted with the other cc option.

Here's a possible fix for the FFB rattling.
http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1 ... controller.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I used paypal and no trouble. CC was declining. I set my FFB to .33 and it feels good. I was waiting for a horror story but it loaded and ran no worries. I've had no troubles and it's fun.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

durbster wrote:Payment problems aside, I hope people have noticed and understood the word "beta" in this release :D
Altho I reckon most ppl thought the rF is the beta, not the payment system :lol:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

Wish they developed it a bit more before releasing the beta, it looks like its put a lot off, the graphics look disappointing, other than the arms on the steering wheel it looks like the first RF. (only from the vids I've seen)
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

If you ignore the graphics there's good driving to be had. To be honest the look hasn't bothered me as I'm having fun and concentrating on driving.
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

When the PC configuration seems to be right then the graphics are great (if a little too saturated without HDR)

Shame there seems to be such a difference in performance from spec to spec, which is disappointing. Potential is there and it seems there are more bells and whistles they haven't enabled yet. Good replacement for Rfactor is all it is... then again I would play nothing else at the moment sim wise.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Guess it's just me, but I want to slap the flaggies in this sim, tell them to look the right way and wave a flag properly... No i'm not being too demanding!
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I've been on the lookout for a new game but don't fancy an RPG, which they all seem to be these days. Must be about time I dusted off the wheel so I'm downloading this now :)
thornz

Post by thornz »

Interesting, have got my refund back, yet I can still play single player. Sweeeet
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Bonus. You might be screwed with an update though.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I put a few hours in last night with the 60s mod and downloaded the rest this morning.

I love the sound effects (right down to mooing cows :D) and I think they've done a good job of creating a sense of fear at high speed in the 60s cars. The environmental effects seem pretty neat too, I had a play with the transitions and wet to dry seemed to blend quite naturally.

The handling is fine on the 60s cars. The Megane mod crashes and the FRenault seems a bit odd, but I've only had a short play with it so it may have been cold tyres or something. The FFB is fine too although none of this feels like any great step up from rFactor.

Yes I know this is built for modding so it's up to the community to provide but one thing that always narked me about rFactor is that none of the standard cars were particularly good, because it suggests they didn't actually know how to get the best out of their own system.

All in all I'm disappointed because it feels like I'm playing a ten year old game and I'm considering a refund. Other than the weather effects and some much-needed tidying up of the modding system, it doesn't seem to have moved on from rFactor much at all. If it was released four or five years ago then that would seem about right but not now.

The graphics are just unforgiveable in 2012. I've got everything maxed out and other than more sophisticated tracks and higher-res, I can't see anything I wouldn't have seen in rFactor. In fact the camera shots from distance would compare poorly with GPL and considering my current graphics card is more powerful than my entire PC when I played GPL, I just don't understand how that's possible.

So first impressions last night were reasonably positive, but a second look this morning has left me looking up the refund details :(
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've received my refund all right. The've asked for a confirmation. And afterwards if I can provide the info why. So I did because they've asked nicely and only after giving my money back.
Altho paypal can go fuck themselves, they've taken $5 off for the refund. Bunch of crooks if I've ever seen one. I think I'll close my paypal account down.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

Ive decided not to go ahead with purchasing the beta after hearing an overwhelming majority of disapointment. Think ill wait till the full release but if this is any indication ill pass and wait for AC/GTR3/CARS
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I was looking into this as a good offline game but I think that'll have to wait for GTR3 now.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
thornz

Post by thornz »

ysu wrote:I've received my refund all right. The've asked for a confirmation. And afterwards if I can provide the info why. So I did because they've asked nicely and only after giving my money back.
Altho paypal can go fuck themselves, they've taken $5 off for the refund. Bunch of crooks if I've ever seen one. I think I'll close my paypal account down.
Interesting, I recieved my refund in full, no $5 fee at my end, credit card refunded exactly what got taken off for intial payment.