Android phone on NextG

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Android phone on NextG

Post by norbs »

Doso wrote: To be honest it's almost cheaper to do what I did, purchase the phone outright from the UK for $~650 and get on the BYO $49 Freedom Connect plan (same as the $59 Freedom plan)

that way you only have a 12 month contract but no warrenty

It is $70 cheaper over 2 years doing it that way. Given my experience with mobile phones, there is no way I'd spend $650 on a phone with no warranty. It is just to big a risk.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Doso

Post by Doso »

norbs wrote: It is $70 cheaper over 2 years doing it that way. Given my experience with mobile phones, there is no way I'd spend $650 on a phone with no warranty. It is just to big a risk.
True, I mean there is warranty but you would have to send the phone back to the UK.

So far I have imported 3 phones (HTC HD/HTC HD2/Samasung Galaxy S2) and have never had an issue with anyone of them and I'm not that easy on my phones.

Also when I imported my S2 in April nobody knew when or if they were going to be released in Australia as generally phones are delayed a good 3-6 months before being released in Aus (except the iphone as it generates significant buzz) I was plesently surprised when it was released on optus/voda in May!

That being said the extra $20 a month to get the s2 on Telstra over vodaphone is abit steep considering the 45 infinite plan on voda is a pretty damm good plan compared to 59 freedom connect on Telstra however Telstra coverage and data network is just so much better
norbs

Post by norbs »

Doso wrote:
norbs wrote: It is $70 cheaper over 2 years doing it that way. Given my experience with mobile phones, there is no way I'd spend $650 on a phone with no warranty. It is just to big a risk.
True, I mean there is warranty but you would have to send the phone back to the UK.

So far I have imported 3 phones (HTC HD/HTC HD2/Samasung Galaxy S2) and have never had an issue with anyone of them and I'm not that easy on my phones.

Also when I imported my S2 in April nobody knew when or if they were going to be released in Australia as generally phones are delayed a good 3-6 months before being released in Aus (except the iphone as it generates significant buzz) I was plesently surprised when it was released on optus/voda in May!

That being said the extra $20 a month to get the s2 on Telstra over vodaphone is abit steep considering the 45 infinite plan on voda is a pretty damm good plan compared to 59 freedom connect on Telstra however Telstra coverage and data network is just so much better

How any can even contemplate Voda these days is beyond me. We dont even have coverage at home with Voda. I swore I would never use Telstra years ago, and I have been with Optus for 15 years, but around here, you just can't beat Telstra's coverage.
Doso

Post by Doso »

norbs wrote: How any can even contemplate Voda these days is beyond me. We dont even have coverage at home with Voda. I swore I would never use Telstra years ago, and I have been with Optus for 15 years, but around here, you just can't beat Telstra's coverage.
Since Telstra got rid of Sol and the three amigos they have been alright, Telstra will be the one of the first companies in the world who will have the option to slow down data traffic when you exceed your usage cap on mobile netowrks for example

Telstras speed/coverage is vastly better than vodaphone & optus like I said before I compared the data speeds with a friend with a vodaphone S2 vs mine on Telstra loading the full version of theage.com.au, mine on telstra took ~10-15 seconds while voda took over 60 seconds!

Honeslty for the Coverage/Speed $20 bucks a month is a small price to pay
norbs

Post by norbs »

Doso wrote:
norbs wrote: How any can even contemplate Voda these days is beyond me. We dont even have coverage at home with Voda. I swore I would never use Telstra years ago, and I have been with Optus for 15 years, but around here, you just can't beat Telstra's coverage.
Since Telstra got rid of Sol and the three amigos they have been alright, Telstra will be the one of the first companies in the world who will have the option to slow down data traffic when you exceed your usage cap on mobile netowrks for example

Telstras speed/coverage is vastly better than vodaphone & optus like I said before I compared the data speeds with a friend with a vodaphone S2 vs mine on Telstra loading the full version of theage.com.au, mine on telstra took ~10-15 seconds while voda took over 60 seconds!

Honeslty for the Coverage/Speed $20 bucks a month is a small price to pay

I am pretty sure that was a staff suggestion too.

My biggest concern is that Telstra will get swamped, now that they are pricing more competitively. I have watched the Optus network degrade in the past 18 months with the uptake of smartphones.

The flip side to that is that I can see how much they are spending on the network. I am doing design work for mobiles lately, and that is because they are trying to stay in front of the curve. Fingers crossed.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Telstra HAS gone downhill in the past 2 years but they are still above the rest.. lets hopes norbs is right and they keep up with the expansion.
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android phone on NextG

Post by DexterPunk »

Just switched to a Telstra staff plan this morning. Sooo much faster!

Best thing is 30c per min calls, $39 cap (as little as $10 if you stay under that), $400 calls and texts, 1GB data. Annnddd, its not a contract, month by month. Yay!
norbs

Post by norbs »

pab

Post by pab »

nutty wrote:Im a massive Android nerd, and I can tell you NOTHING beats the GS II, I really regret picking up a Nexus S a few months back.. should have waited. But hey, don’t take my word for it, I googled Nexus S review and the first few links are all extremely positive
Nutty, can you please give me a quick run down on what's dissapointing to you in the Nexus S? I'm not an early adopter in these sort of things, simply because I don't like paying the premium that goes along with that. I can get a Nexus S for around the same as I'm currently paying per month for a normal old mobile on PAYG so I'm thinking of grabbing it. If your regrets come from the GS II just being a better phone then that's fine with me because I'm not prepared to pay the sort of monthly price that the Galaxy would cost me, but if there are serious issues with the Nexus then I'd like to know about them before I get it on a plan.

Ta.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Android phone on NextG

Post by w00dsy »

My daughter has the Nexus S and I really like it. I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm rather jealous that she has that and I'm still using my iPhone 3GS.
pab

Post by pab »

w00dsy wrote:My daughter has the Nexus S and I really like it. I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm rather jealous that she has that and I'm still using my iPhone 3GS.
OK, that's what I was hoping to hear, thanks.
PB
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

pab wrote:
nutty wrote:Im a massive Android nerd, and I can tell you NOTHING beats the GS II, I really regret picking up a Nexus S a few months back.. should have waited. But hey, don’t take my word for it, I googled Nexus S review and the first few links are all extremely positive
Nutty, can you please give me a quick run down on what's dissapointing to you in the Nexus S? I'm not an early adopter in these sort of things, simply because I don't like paying the premium that goes along with that. I can get a Nexus S for around the same as I'm currently paying per month for a normal old mobile on PAYG so I'm thinking of grabbing it. If your regrets come from the GS II just being a better phone then that's fine with me because I'm not prepared to pay the sort of monthly price that the Galaxy would cost me, but if there are serious issues with the Nexus then I'd like to know about them before I get it on a plan.

Ta.
I wouldnt say im disapointed with it, I guess im just a tech geek.. I like having the latest/greatest.
But in terms of phones, its still fantastic. But the S2 is just crazy...

But I can 100% recomend the Nexus S, its a great pickup for the price (im on voda $29 a month cap, it would cost me an extra $30 for a S2)
pab

Post by pab »

nutty wrote:
pab wrote:

Ta.
I wouldnt say im disapointed with it, I guess im just a tech geek.. I like having the latest/greatest.
But in terms of phones, its still fantastic. But the S2 is just crazy...

But I can 100% recomend the Nexus S, its a great pickup for the price (im on voda $29 a month cap, it would cost me an extra $30 for a S2)
OK, thanks to both of you. Yeah, the $29 deal is the one I was looking at, it makes upgrading a bit of a no brainer for me, cause that's basically what I'm paying now a month (in most cases somewhere between $15 and $30 per month, lately it's been at the higher end of that range) just paying for my calls straight up, it's nice to know it's a good phone as well.
PB
norbs

Post by norbs »

Phone should be here next week. After a lot of fucking around with the link above I managed to get on to an Aussie bloke at Telstra and he sorted it, plus a $200 welcome credit for porting across from Optus! Win.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

fark!

does everyone get this credit for porting over :\

i want 200 credit!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

norbs wrote:Phone should be here next week. After a lot of fucking around with the link above I managed to get on to an Aussie bloke at Telstra and he sorted it, plus a $200 welcome credit for porting across from Optus! Win.
Hmmm...sounds like I need to go and play around with that site then chase down some Aussie bloke at Telstra too. :D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S2 through vodafone.

$49 Cap + $10 a month for the handset.

1 year contract.

Hurry up and arrive damn you!
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

NeilPearson wrote:just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S2 through vodafone.

$49 Cap + $10 a month for the handset.

1 year contract.

Hurry up and arrive damn you!
I can understand that a cheap plan would encourage people to a service, but at the end of the day, the SGSII will be let down by a poor network (Work phones are on the voda network). It's an unfortunate waste of awesome technology due to a slow, dodgy telco.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yep... my 3 service had gone down hill very fast since vodafone bought them. Loving the speeds of telstra now... Other than the black spot my actual house is in, I get around 500KB/s anywhere else around my area on 3G. As far as I know it can go quite a bit quicker than that too.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Vodafone are currently upgrading there network, but Just have to wait and see, its only for 1 year. Im tired of the 3 network, its lousy. in my room ill get signal at one end, and the other itll drop out. 3 and vodafone have different networks atm to.

Currently I am not in a place financially to move to telstra. I am unemployed/student and just cant justify paying $30 more a month. in a years time, it will be a different story (hopefully)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

From the independent testes performed after the first areas were upgraded reported it made "fuck all difference to the stability and performance of the network".

My thinking is you'd be far better off moving away from Vodafone for at least 2 years then see what's really changed.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

VodaPowned are upgrading my closest tower to my home at the moment.

Ive always had a strong stable signal, now it ranges from .5% to 20% signal strength and data is slooooooow, hopefully WHEN they have finished its similar to before they started fucking with the tower... Only major annoying thing is there website says the upgrade is scheduled to finish in August 2011 but there customer service (not so) hot line told be October 2011.....
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I stayed with Optus for my SGSII mainly due to the cost factor, $49 per month (inc handset payments) and 2 months free, I figured if I waited for Telstra I'd have to pay $80-$90 per month and I was right :)

For the saved cash I'll put up with the access issues I get with Data on the train :)

Awesome phone and WAY better than my iPhone
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

oopsy from vodafone. Rang them, there sending me a satchell to send it back.

Now all i have to do is figure out how to remove the vodafone software...

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

damn you all for telling me about the Galaxy S2. I even said i wasn't prepared to pay $20 extra just for a better phone, but i just did. :doh: