Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DarrenM

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by DarrenM »

I grabbed my code from the order page. Can't remember getting an email for it. I didn't like flying with the gamepad and couldn't use my hotas so I'll stick to Elite for my space action.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Played Adrift 20 mins, I nearly had to run outside to puke. I was fine for about 15 mins then suddenly I broke in to mad sweats and felt it coming. I don't get motion sickness in Helicopters or sea sickness in boats but this was something along those lines.

It took about an hour for the feeling to go away.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I've been trying to plonk my head in this for a few minutes every now and then to build up my VR legs.

Finally found some time to get the wheel out and give pcars a proper go.

With my current rig I've had to pretty well dial all the graphics back as I'd noticed a bit of stutter happening. I think it was starting to make me feel a bit off. Once I had the FPS back up, I was totally hooked.

I was racing for about an hour or so before calling it quits. I had a friggen blast!

I've read a lot about people saying that there's no such thing as pushing through the sickness if it starts to kick in. Supposedly you're should stop straight away if you feel the voms coming.

I pushed a little too hard in LFS the other day and was feeling it for an hour or so afterwards.

I can't wait for these new GPUs to come out, I'd love to dial up some settings and run some decent AA to kill off the jaggies.

Loving it!
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

The judder was killing it for me in Pcars, where as I don't get any in LFS. I am with you Righty, keen as a mustard seed to see these cards released and get the full potential of this new hmd.

;)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I didn't get a code for the Eve game. Support has been pretty quick and informative, all emails have been answered within 45 mins so that is a plus from me.

;)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Eve code sorted.

Also the debug tool, everyone getting a cv1 should grab that. Makes a world of difference.

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ ... r_Windows/

Unzip to a folder of your choice. Open the folder, go to tools, run the debug app.

File, Launch APP, enter the destination for Assetto Corsa executable. Made a world of difference

Big thanks to DarrenM for helping me out with this side of things.

;)
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I want Eve Valkyrie :(

Minister for Religious Genocide.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The next aussie batch is starting to go through, fingers crossed I make it in.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Got my processing email this morning :happybanana: :jump: :rolleyes2: :hyper:

It does give me a bit of a dilemma now though, if iRacing don't add support in week 13 it's basically going to be CV1 vs iRacing. There's no way I can let the CV1 just sit on the shelf, I'll have to use it but it might mean no racing for a while :(
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Try AC sarsi? or LFS? Or Pcars?

Awesome news but. Hopefully Cursed will have his soon too.

;)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

My rift rig build has started. Ordered a 6700k, asus s1151 mobo, 64gb ram + the usual shit for raid array, power, case etc. Still waiting on the NDA to be lifted tomorrow re the new nvidia cards, so it's going to be price dependent. Might just go with the 1070 in June/July to keep the price down a tad and wait for the 1080 titan to be released end of year. 1070 I will pass along to one of you lads on the cheap if interested?

- edit changed spec to save money, 6 cores... pffft
Last edited by c.j on Thu May 26, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

;)
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'm a xx34xx order. I'll be lucky to see mine before the sun collapses in on itself - or at least it feels that way. I will be sure to keep everyone posted should things change.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

c.j wrote:My rift rig build has started. Ordered a 6700k, asus s1151 mobo, 64gb ram + the usual shit for raid array, power, case etc. Still waiting on the NDA to be lifted tomorrow re the new nvidia cards, so it's going to be price dependent. Might just go with the 1070 in June/July to keep the price down a tad and wait for the 1080 titan to be released end of year. 1070 I will pass along to one of you lads on the cheap if interested?

- edit changed spec to save money, 6 cores... pffft
64gb ram, whao what, what for, are you planning on doing full 4K render posters or something c.j???
More importantly what clock speed is the ram?
Dukester

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

SSD's in a raid array? Pointless
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

r8response wrote:SSD's in a raid array? Pointless
That depends a whole lot on what you are doing.

Some of the 4K+ RAW media files I work with need speeds in excess of 500mbps to play back in real time. I've got an external raid here that has read and write speeds close to 1000mbps and I still have issues with some media.

Having said that, I'm not sure that CJ does a whole lot of RAW video editing :D
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

If you're after speed a PCIe M.2 SSD would be the way to go. Some of those are rated to 2500MB/s, though in benchmarks seem to come out around 3x faster than sata SSD's.

http://anandtech.com/show/10328/the-tos ... d-review/3

Only way I'd raid sata ssd's would be raid 1 to protect against a drive failure.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I dunno, I want to save the full replays in ac, Arma3 and then also drive my 4k tv... I am copying the specs of my laptop but with more power. That said, I am open to help, I've been a gunslinger for most of my adult life with a 3.5 year hiatus to get a trade in automotive electrical so I can manage vehicles in the stinking cold/hot arid regions of the earth. I don't build computers, so advice appreciated.
I just want a super fast boot, my laptop is at the desktop in around 9 seconds from power on, I want the same deal with my desktop. I want to play games on my lg tv in 4k with no issue, I want to drive the oculus at it's maximum and I want to know that it's safe for the next 3 - 5 years in so far as being able to do those things.

The only editing I will be doing is of video and occasionally photo's I take with my 7D. Still very much a beginner with all of that.

Ram clock speed, I ordered 2666, with the intention of filling all the slots. Again, if you're happy to advise come at me.

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

32GB ram would be more than plenty in my opinion. I only went with 16GB when I upgraded earlier in the year. I don't think anything will need more than that in the next few years. Even star citizen was fine with 8GB.

Any SSD will give you the quick boot times. Don't need raid for that. Putting your games on SSD will give you fast load times and reduced stuttering as well. I've got samsung 850's in my system. A 128GB for Win10, a couple 256GB ones for games and a 2TB HDD for all the other crap.

If you want to run 4k get an sli capable board and a 1080. That way if one isn't enough you can add a second card later on. Gpu power is what will matter there, not ram or cpu.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

NVME drives, if you want raw speed.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

DarrenM wrote:32GB ram would be more than plenty in my opinion. I only went with 16GB when I upgraded earlier in the year. I don't think anything will need more than that in the next few years. Even star citizen was fine with 8GB.

Any SSD will give you the quick boot times. Don't need raid for that. Putting your games on SSD will give you fast load times and reduced stuttering as well. I've got samsung 850's in my system. A 128GB for Win10, a couple 256GB ones for games and a 2TB HDD for all the other crap.

If you want to run 4k get an sli capable board and a 1080. That way if one isn't enough you can add a second card later on. Gpu power is what will matter there, not ram or cpu.
Rgr, cheers gents.

I chose 64gb because when ever I select to save large replays in AC it says "memory intensive" message.

Re the raid array, was due to protecting my shit. Which actually won't be necessary now. I was going to move all my lessons on to the desktop, but I have decided to keep it purely for gaming and use the laptop for the work stuff. Army lessons, plus all the shit I use for reference when away.

;)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

c.j wrote:Try AC sarsi? or LFS? Or Pcars?

Awesome news but. Hopefully Cursed will have his soon too.
Yeah I'm going to give AC a good go, updated to the latest runtime and updated AC in preparation last night so I can get everything setup properly with the DK2 so it's all ready to go as soon as the CV1 lands. Thinking I need to get a joystick as well for some EVE action.

Got my shipping email last night so should be next week some time :D
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

My Rift is waiting at the local Star Track depot ready for pick up :hyper:
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Very interested to hear your opinions since you've been on the DK2.