Race starts in the Riley

iRacing
Jiminee

Race starts in the Riley

Post by Jiminee »

Had my first race in the Riley last night but was having trouble getting it off the line, it just bogs - is it a simple case of having too high a first gear or is there some trick to getting it going smoothly?
With the first lap chaos at Laguna this week a quick getaway would be most helpful!
Thanks
Jim
XLV SPORT
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Race starts in the Riley

Post by Exar Kun »

Jiminee wrote:Had my first race in the Riley last night but was having trouble getting it off the line, it just bogs - is it a simple case of having too high a first gear or is there some trick to getting it going smoothly?
With the first lap chaos at Laguna this week a quick getaway would be most helpful!
Thanks
Jim
Short first gear is indeed the way to go for getting off the line quickly. Most people use sets with tall first gears to enable using it out of slower corners.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Easy fix then, with this much torque though, surely 4 gears is enough on most tracks?
XLV SPORT
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Jiminee wrote:Easy fix then, with this much torque though, surely 4 gears is enough on most tracks?
Yeah, 4 is enough around here and given all the places you can pick up at the start passing all the people who don't fix their first gear it's worth doing in my opinion.

Needs to be to around 2.6-2.8 for a good start.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Just re-set the gearing. I've done that and never looked back. There's plenty of torque and power to deal with any corner using the remaining 4 gears IMHO.

In a race mid-pack that long 1st gear is not a help, but a hindrance. You'll have too much torque to deal with, then in some corners you need to feather the throttle and when it's busy & excited it can easily result in a spin.

You can pick up quite a few spots on the starts for now. Later on others will probably realise the 1st gear mistake and it'll be evened out ;)

I use the lowest generic gear (whatever it's called) and then the 3rd option for the 1st gear. Can't remember the value. But it's good enough to start quick and still not spin the wheels out. It does just a tiny bit of squeek then starts off like a rocket.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Speaking of starts - its one area where sim-racing shoots itself i the foot. That grid at Laguna is rediculously tight, sure its accurate but given the issues of lag and poor framerates (for some) at the start of a race why not deviate from the actual a little and spread things out a bit?
XLV SPORT
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Or use a rolling start, and possible put all the solstices in the back
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Jiminee wrote:Speaking of starts - its one area where sim-racing shoots itself i the foot. That grid at Laguna is rediculously tight, sure its accurate but given the issues of lag and poor framerates (for some) at the start of a race why not deviate from the actual a little and spread things out a bit?
I've run into that problem too. Laguna is an insanely tight grid, you can either hold back and likely get hit from behind, or force your way forward, likely to hit someone up front.
13th week is a great way to shed some SR :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

So glad the MMA series is SR free!
XLV SPORT