Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Scottie

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Scottie »

Why not go again?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Really can't wait for the consumer release of the RIFT for my rig...

[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Interesting... but how can this not become more expensive & surely the commercial release will take longer if these types of features keep getting added.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5284258 ... mysterious" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dukester

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I think some form of head tracking was always on the cards, they just need to figure out which method.

There isn't much to the oculus dev kit, so I don't think they would need to raise the cost with more features. It's just a screen and some sensors. Much less than what's in a similarly priced smart phone or tablet.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Here's a cheap alternative giving a 3D headset using a phone for 57,00 €.

http://www.durovis.com/dive.html?country=AU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know how many games they have, but it would be nice for a virtual cinema. Especially with the nexus 5 1080p screen or the S5 1440p screen.

There's also a version for people with 3d printers so you only need to buy the lenses.

http://www.durovis.com/opendive-howto.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

The other main method like the ValveVR is using is markers around the room, and that could hurt more as the end user needs to set them up and not all areas people want to use them could be done that way..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

[youtube] [/youtube]

wooo...
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

[youtube]C8z-On6FBTM [/youtube]
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Dev Kit 2 announced.
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/announcing ... kit-2-dk2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

Seems similar spec to crystal cove. 75hz 5" 1080p oled panel. Double the ppi of dk1.

$350 for this one. Cost me $460 for the pre-order once they added Shipping and tax.

Ordered one because it sounds like the consumer version is still a while off. Seems they're waiting for a 1440p panel.
We’re deep into development on the consumer Rift. We have a lot more planned, including improvements to comfort, resolution, tracking, software, ergonomics, optics, industrial design, and the overall experience.

Virtual reality is going to continue to evolve rapidly in the coming years. There’s no cutting corners or ‘good enough’ when it comes to VR; the consumer Rift needs to be perfect and we’re dedicated to getting it right. We’re moving as fast as possible and promise it’ll be worth the wait.
Last edited by DarrenM on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

How well does it work in AC Darren? Seriously tempted instead of a 3 monitor set up.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Seriously tempted instead of a 3 monitor set up.
Agreed. Though I will wait for consumer version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------------
Stu
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

There's still a chance the consumer version could be released before the end of the year so I'd only order one of these if you're happy to blow $460 ($510AUD) on something that may only get used for 6 months. The dev kit has ruined single monitor racing for me but I desperately need higher res so I can't wait that long :)

AC support is currently not too good. Can't use apps for instance. The devs said they're doing a bunch of work for it though. This doesn't ship until July so I'd hope they have it all sorted out by then.

I think with this version I won't be using the monitor any more for simracing. I'm already using the rift most of the time but still use the monitor occasionally because it's more comfortable when making a setup/learning a track etc.
Last edited by DarrenM on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I'm tempted to get on this too. You'd think after the visit from the OR guy to AC team, they will start to improve its integration pretty quickly.

By the time July rolls around, AC should be up and running nicely.

What's the screen res of the old dev kit?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:How well does it work in AC Darren? Seriously tempted instead of a 3 monitor set up.
Me too, by the time you buy 2 extra monitors then probably another GFX card to keep FPS high then OR is a much better alternative, even if it is only the dev kit.

My issue is if you wear specs do you need them on with OR & if so can you physically wear them while using OR???
Dukester

Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

I would wait for consumer versions guys... let the devs have these ones to work out the kinks :)

I expressed my displeasure at people over at the ISI forums buying the dev kits, trying them a few times then selling them off at double to price, sounds a bit of a crappy thing to do, when all you have done is denied a dev the kit that you received, better off them having it to work with than for someone to try it for 5 mins.
My Fundraising Journey

Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Tempting, but I think I'll wait for the retail version...

I would like to know if I get motion sickness when using it tho - hopefully not
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I get bad motion sickness bad with the dev kit 1 so I'll make a good guinea pig for that test. Apparently it's reduced/eliminated with the lower latency screen and more accurate head tracking. I noticed their show demos have people sitting still in the games though.
Woodee wrote:I expressed my displeasure at people over at the ISI forums buying the dev kits, trying them a few times then selling them off at double to price, sounds a bit of a crappy thing to do, when all you have done is denied a dev the kit that you received, better off them having it to work with than for someone to try it for 5 mins.
I had a related beef on the iRacing forums. A couple of people were hyping it up and convincing people it was good enough for full time use. So a bunch of people ordered them, used them a handful of times then tried to get rid of them because the res was too low. That kind of crap is counter productive since it will just turn people off the concept.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Think it was Apple that did one of the best things for OR, buying the screens they were going to use for the earlier consumer kit.

Righty, DK1 Screen 1280 × 800, 640 x 800 per eye, DK2 is 1920 x 1080, 960 x 1080 per eye.

Flinty, you can use glasses, just depends on the size of the rim(for fitting in the rift, and your eye seeing it), plan is to have Eye glasses scripts you can order that does the same proscription.

Woodee, Limited numbers make prices higher, supply and demand.

Brett, The slightly higher view angles, and different screen helped more people, but everyone is different.

Darren, Good enough for some is fine, but pumping it up for others is not good.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Tks Wobbly, be good if you could send your script to them to have the lenses custom made but I bet it'd be pricey.
It would be better if they just supplied a blank that you could then take to your local optometrist to then get them to order & cut lenses matching the blank. ;)
Dukester

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Script lens were going to be an extra, as it was going to be custom done.

As in, you might only need 1 eye- far/neared and set to you in the package, as well as the stock 3 sets of lenses.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I was lucky enough to try a Oculus, and the only issue I had was the resolution. Pity I don't have the money to order one right now :(
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I've pre-ordered one, the DK1 wasn't quite there with resolution and a few other things but I'm pretty sure that the new screen will be up to the task and I'll be able to switch to full-time use with iRacing.
I'm like you Darren, even if I only get 6 months of use out of the DK2 before the CV comes out it will be worth it for me.
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

is it a hoax that facebook acquired them?
My Fundraising Journey

pab

Post by pab »

Apparently not, April 1st is still 5 days away.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61