Anyone build model kits?

all the ARSE dribble
Dr. Pain

Anyone build model kits?

Post by Dr. Pain »

Anyone? I haven't for years but I'm looking to get back into it. Being 20 years since Senna died I'm looking at getting a Tamiya 1/12 MP4-6. Been around for years and I've always wanted one so I will get one in time and I hope to achieve the following pictures level of detail.

A crappy clip of the kit. It's the older version but still relevant to the current kit.

[youtube] [/youtube]

They also have that nice Williams FW-14B too so that will have to join the MP4-6 at some point.

But first I need to start small so I will build a Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 956 in Kenwood colours. They have a nice photo etched metal kit upgrade for it so I can hone my skills on that. I also need a smaller and quieter compressor for my Badger air brush. Can's of compressed air go pretty quick I found from the past and the small quiet compressors are only about $150.

Minister for Religious Genocide.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Anyone build model kits?

Post by r8response »

I made one of these many years ago..

Had proper spring suspension. Took many months to make. Broke in half driving from the sunshine coast to alice springs.

Dad made a model of the Yamato, the hull was roughly 1m long.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I used to build heaps when I was younger. Moving house so I ebayed seven kits off recently and wish I hadn't - they sold for peanuts. A bunch of 1:20 F1 kits with some basically brand new and others with minor assembly. they all went for between $10 and $20 which is a bargain.

I bought the 1:12 MP4/6 kit in 1999 and still have it sitting in a cupboard (couldn't bare to part with it) and built the 1:12 FW14B in '93. I also still have 1:20 FW24, MP4/4 and MP4/13 kits unbuilt. Hoping that one day I'll get around to building them.

That top shot of the MP4/6 has been super-detailed a bit. There's no where near that much detail in it out of the box although it does have some cabling. It's nice to have the passive dampers with springs compared to the FW14B with its featureless looking hydraulic units.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I've built models on and off for many many years. . . not too long ago, I arrived about 1 hour to late at a local garage sale, the old bloke had died, his collection (all unopened) filled a good size wall of his shed :eyepop: . A bloke offered the daughter $300 for the lot, she was more than pleased :yes: . The bloke was over the moon apparently :nod: . Collection dated back to the 70's.

You win some, you lose some :(

Nothing is on the build at the moment, but when i get the urge, I hit ebay for gems like what Exar let go!
balls & boobs. . .
richo

Post by richo »

Bit off topic as usual ..

Does anyone fly r/c planes?
[]D [] []v[] []D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Quincy wrote: Nothing is on the build at the moment, but when i get the urge, I hit ebay for gems like what Exar let go!
I've learnt my lesson! I'm not selling anymore of the ones I have and if I ever have an itch I need to scratch again I'll definitely be hitting up ebay and looking for a bargain.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Building model cars is my main hobby with simracing.
Posted a pic of my latest project in the Bathurst 2013 thread as Bauer asked to look at some of my projects.
http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 00#p374802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also built the Tamiya Porsche 956. Not one of my better projects unfortunately but will do another in time in Bob Jane colours - the one Brocky and LP drove at LeMans.

I can highly recommend a compressor for using your airbrush as the canned air quickly goes cold and loses pressure. Just make sure the compressor setup includes a moisture trap. That being said I even more highly recommend using the Tamiya TS range of spray cans, especially for smaller stuff. Just SO much faster and more convenient than the air brush. More expensive yes but to me my time is the most valuable commodity and I simply do not have as much fun cleaning the airbrush as I do building/painting etc.

Whichever paint you use though, be aware that the coverage of these paints is poor so you need a super smooth and solid layer of primer laid down before reaching for the colour, otherwise you will see the variations in colour showing through. I'm no gun at doing paint jobs but I do know about 50 ways to stuff them up!

Some other products I highly recommend:
- Tamiya Surface Primer
- A set of cloth backed and/or foam backed sanding pads
- Some really good tweezers and pliers.
- Side cutters
- Multigrade sanding stick
- Micro Set and Micro Sol decal helper
- Superglue (!!!!) I use Sellys, squirt a little on an old CD then toothpick it onto the joint. It does not shrink like regular model glue, can be used as a filler, is cheap and its quick.

When I get home tonight I'll take some photos of my stuff and post them up.

(Apologies if this is all stuff that's super obvious but there have been some really cool developments in modelling in the last ten years actually. They no longer really bother marketing to kids and while they may be bad in the future, it means the stuff that does get released is of much higher quality).
XLV SPORT
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Jiminee wrote: (Apologies if this is all stuff that's super obvious but there have been some really cool developments in modelling in the last ten years actually. They no longer really bother marketing to kids and while they may be bad in the future, it means the stuff that does get released is of much higher quality).
Not at all.

I'd just build the kits and paint them with the pot and small brush. Anything that help's improve the quality always gets a :yes:
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

The spray cans changed everything for me. Without them I may no longer be modelling. Unlike other generic brands I have not found them to react badly with plastic, they dont go off or clogg up. Just warm them up, give them a really good shake then spray and its done.
I recommend wearing a good respirator though as they are pretty nasty apparently. Testors make a similar line of sprays apparently but I do not know where to buy those sorry.
Only problem with the cans (and Tamiya stuff in general) is that they can be rather unpredictable with their supply and being in a regional area makes it extra hard as Toyworld no longer exists up here and no one that I know of is willing to put spray paints in the mail so it takes some planning and organizing to keep on top of it. I now have a good stash of primer, semi gloss black, matt black and flat silver - it is a case of stock up while you can but at $10 a can it can hurt a bit, still its cheaper than drinking.
Also, they do not always play nice with other paints. Tamiya acrylics are usually ok but spray cans and enamels do not get along.
XLV SPORT
thornz

Post by thornz »

I know it kind of defeats part of the hobby, but do any kits come pre painted? I've always loved building models, just hate with a passion painting the things, end up getting frustrated and the model ends up in the bin they look so terrible.

I really need a hobby, not even into winter yet and I'm already losing the plot being couped up inside at night now daylight savings has ended.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Jiminee wrote:no one that I know of is willing to put spray paints in the mail
Yeah its illegal. even with the correct Dangerous Goods paperwork Aus Post wont take them.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I do have a compressor but it's large enough to spray cars and it was good when it was new but it's over 15 years old now and as noisy as hell. I only use it to clean PC or pump up tyres now. A smaller quiet unit with a moisture trap would be best for me.

Get a good air brush Thornz and the paint comes out great. I painted a desert Spitfire a long time ago using Tamiya paints the kit recommended and it looked amazing till a cat launched it and it didn't fly. I will do another and cat proof this one. Planes and tanks are easy to paint as you don't want high gloss but cars, you got to rub them down sometimes to get rid of orange peel and that's a pain but worth the result.

I have a Badger 200 air brush.

Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

thornz wrote:I know it kind of defeats part of the hobby, but do any kits come pre painted? I've always loved building models, just hate with a passion painting the things, end up getting frustrated and the model ends up in the bin they look so terrible.

I really need a hobby, not even into winter yet and I'm already losing the plot being couped up inside at night now daylight savings has ended.
Thornz, check out Tamiya (unofficial) Fan club on Facebook. The importer (William Wong) just posted pics today (good timing!) of some prepainted Tamiya kits - Porsche 911GT1 and Merc & Opel DTM kits, might be right up your alley. Pre painted bodies on them. I have also seen some pre-painted Nascar kits before. Basically though, any Snapkit should not require painting.
XLV SPORT
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Lego is pre painted :D

But yeah, I'd love some of the premium Tamiya kits. It'd just save so much time that I don't have these days.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

A few pics of my model desk and tools I have taken over the years. Forgot to bring my camera home from work and having just been arguing with Telstra so not in the mood to use the missus' flashy Nikon thing sorry but if there is anything you want to know more about just let me know.

I found a use for empty spray cans, old cassette holders and 3.5" floppy discs!

The compressor I have can be seen here - super quiet, really nice. No tank so you have to be a little patient but it does the job. Can also see some of the Tamiya spray cans.

Interior shot of Tamiya Volvo 850 BTCC Estate.

Interior of Revell '62 Chev with da subwoofas from The Parts Box (thepartsbox.com)

Subaru WRX Sedan Delivery - did not quite work out as well as I hoped.

As for getting rid of old kits. Have a mate on a forum who (to inject some life into the place) sent randomly selected kits to 7 other long time members with the idea of having a build off. They were all street machine/customs/hot rods and the only rule was the finished article has to be something that could feasibly be displayed at the Detroit Autorama, Motorex, Summernats kind of deal. They have to be done by December (a short time frame for that sort of thing) with regular updates being provided. Has worked really well so far, though with my knee issues I'm yet to clear enough space on my desk to start mine (next week) but it was a very generous way of creating some space in his cupboard. We all ended up sending him some money for them anyway though. I have a '29 Ford Sedan delivery to build and I will be using Troy Trepanier's hot rods as inspiration.
XLV SPORT
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Also kinda funny that there was a car modelling thread started on iRacing and on ARSE in the same week, unless that is not a coincidence?
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

My iRacing account lapsed a few months ago so just coincidence or I've unwillingly tapped into the force?! :eyepop:
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

No iRacing account, colder months coming - perfect storm for building. Though it is nice in the summer being able to go outside at 9pm and do a quick spray.
One day I want a workshop with a proper little spray booth that I can use any time I want - that would be perfect.
A Bill Simmons podcast or listening to Test cricket and an hour or two of building though is about as good as it gets for me with pants on.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

You have me now wishing I had something to build. This is a good thing. Best buy a kit next week or see if I have something in storage. :)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Despite Mick kicking himself for selling off kits, I happen to have a few kits that Im willing to part with cheap. I dug them out a few weeks ago to sell and got rid of the F1 kits I had to a bloke I used to work with. i even sold him a 1:12 Lotus 49

If anyone is looking to build a kit, I have a Sauber C9 and a Peugeot C905 EV1 for the 1:24 sports car fans

and 4 indy cars. 1 if which is a 1:20 Tamiya "Snap Loc". terrific kit which I built 1 of but never did the other.
--------------
Stu
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I had Nige's Newman Haas snap lock kit and yeah, it was a really good build.
pab

Post by pab »

Bauer wrote: 1 if which is a 1:20 Tamiya "Snap Loc". terrific kit which I built 1 of but never did the other.
I assume this is one of those "snaps together without the need for glue" kits Stu?

If so I reckon I'll grab it for my son (it's nice for him to be able to have some kits that he can completely do himself without me needing to fuss about how well he'd sticking them together). I'll grab one of the other indycar ones for me too, mate, then we can do one each. Just pick a price for them (including shipping them over here) and let me know.

*Edit*
Actually, if no-one else wants any I'll take all 4 indycars (I assume they are differnt models/teams). So price up all four of them Stu, unless of course, anyone else wants one or two, in which case they are welcome to their share so I don't feel selfish :D
Last edited by pab on Fri May 02, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Speed

Post by Speed »

I don't build kits myself but I reckon it could be a pretty nice hobby.

Great thread...awesome setup there Jiminee. :yes:
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Bauer wrote:Despite Mick kicking himself for selling off kits, I happen to have a few kits that Im willing to part with cheap. I dug them out a few weeks ago to sell and got rid of the F1 kits I had to a bloke I used to work with. i even sold him a 1:12 Lotus 49

If anyone is looking to build a kit, I have a Sauber C9 and a Peugeot C905 EV1 for the 1:24 sports car fans

and 4 indy cars. 1 if which is a 1:20 Tamiya "Snap Loc". terrific kit which I built 1 of but never did the other.

I wouldn't mind the 1:24's.....

I'll shoot ya a pm.
balls & boobs. . .
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Damnit. I'm starting to get the modeling itch. But with a 3yr old who likes to play with everything, it's probably not the best time.